One brand of battery with a different brand of cordless tool

dancrane

Visit site
I may be the last to ask, but is it possible and non-hazardous to power one premium tool brand with another brand's batteries?

Is it purely a question of matching the voltage and (somehow) connecting the terminals? I'm thinking of the ubiquitous 18v variety.

I had an idea that Li-ion batteries are chipped to work only with the same brand of tools, so it isn't a good idea. I know manufacturers want us to pick their brand and commit ourselves to getting their full range of kit on the basis that we already have their batteries...

...but since batteries of the same brand work just as well in light duties, as in grinding and sawing, I assume their output is flexible.

So are the plastic mouldings which prevent (for example) Bosch batteries fitting DeWalts, purely the brands' pursuit of loyalty?

I see there are converters available, but I haven't read much to recommend them, which isn't encouraging.

51845035281_6b8f188162_z.jpg

Has anybody tried it and succeeded? I've no doubt it instantly voids the warranty of battery and tool, but my kit is mostly old.

Before we go up the wrong creek, I'm definitely not asking (or wanting) to power cordless 18v tools from a boat's 12v supply. :) (y)

Thanks!

coopec

N/A
Visit site
As you pointed out there are adapters available to use another manufacture's 18v battery. I have already done it. I can't think of a reason why it would be harmful. These batteries are able to handle all sorts of loads (Watts) so they are quite versatile.

Last edited:

Kilo

Visit site
Works fine, I've a mix of Bosch & Makita tools using a mix of Bosch, Makita & knock off Makita batteries. The adapters I use are 3D printed & came from ebay.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Agreed but will also mention that very inexpensive batteries can be fake/made with QA rejected/too old cells and parts.

Unfortunately hard to check before purchase, however the offered warranty and/or brand name (if true!) would be an indicator.

The same goes for replacement batteries to devices like phones.

Kilo

Visit site
Yup, agreed, you are taking a bit of a punt with unbranded replacement batteries but I've been lucky so far (a dozen ±), it means that the tools I've retired from the workshop have a second life without breaking the bank.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Agreed but will also mention that very inexpensive batteries can be fake/made with QA rejected/too old cells and parts.

Unfortunately hard to check before purchase, however the offered warranty and/or brand name (if true!) would be an indicator.

The same goes for replacement batteries to devices like phones.

I've been caught out buying a cheap 18V battery from China even though I bought from a seller with good feedback. The seller knew exactly what he was doing - offering a replacement immediately and when it didn't come he said he would give a refund on the XXth if it hadn't arrived. When I asked for a refund and he refused I lodged a complaint with eBay. eBay said they couldn't help because I had left it 32 days and I should have lodged a complaint within 30 days.

These days I would only buy from an Australian seller where we are protected by Australian Consumer Law.

dancrane

Visit site
Thanks for the responses so far.

Staying on the cross-brand theme, can there be any reason why it isn't in the big-name manufacturers' interests to market adaptors which instantly mate differently branded tools and cells? Would they really lose more than they'd gain, if people who already favoured a different brand, were able to begin buying theirs, too, at minimum cost?

It feels like the sellers of such converters on eBay and Amazon are small-time operators, and the reviews of their products are either very few in number, or very varied in their level of enthusiasm.

It seems such a good (and reasonable) thing to produce and sell, I would have expected thousands of contented customers' reviews, expressing their pleasure at exploring all the other toolmakers' ranges without paying for their cells and chargers too...

...so it feels like there's a reason why it may not work.

I'll probably give it a try - £20 for a cross-brand converter is far less than the smallest battery from either brand.

Glad to hear any more views - and I'll report back with my success or failure. (y)

Last edited:

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
I've been caught out buying a cheap 18V battery from China even though I bought from a seller with good feedback. The seller knew exactly what he was doing - offering a replacement immediately and when it didn't come he said he would give a refund on the XXth if it hadn't arrived. When I asked for a refund and he refused I lodged a complaint with eBay. eBay said they couldn't help because I had left it 32 days and I should have lodged a complaint within 30 days.

These days I would only buy from an Australian seller where we are protected by Australian Consumer Law.

In Europe the protection of customers is OK as well, but when sellers operate from no-name-places and below thresholds, you just need to see it as gambling when placing an order.

If physical stores were good (staff with customer responsiveness, knowledgeable, responsible, professionally proud) I'd go there first any time, but when they turn out to be way more expensive without being better at all, you tend to take chance of gambling