Old houseboats at Burnham

MRF

Visit site
Hi Izzy, how great to hear from you and to know that Brian, Iris, et al are all OK.
I bet you remember Steve Bowen, who lived on Curlew, Anne Marie and Vanity.
I bought Vanity from him and we've been good mates ever since. I know he remembers you!! Another story perhaps.

Thanks for the update and I hope you are well. Please give my and Steve's regards to your Dad. Does he still smoke roll-ups in liquorice papers?

BTW, is John Ambrose still in the Burnham area? He used to own the smack Tammy and do the Old Gaffers with her. Another amazing character from those days.

Martin

izzykingston

Visit site
Hi Martin,
Sorry to tell you that Dad died 2 years ago :(
He had emigrated to New Zealand and settled down with Mum there. Mum died 8 years ago!
Yes, he did love his roll-ups in liqourice papers...but unfortunately that is what caused the cancer in the end! Can't say he had a quiet life, even up to the end he was telling everyone his crazy stories.
We had a remembrance service for him at the corinthian 2 years ago, it was great to see lots of old friends.
Sorry about the bad news!
Have a great Christmas and all the best for 2011...

MRF

Visit site
Hi Izzy,
I'm so sorry to hear your news. I misread your earlier mail.
Your dad was certainly part of the Burnham scene at the time. Last time I went there it seemed very quiet.

Best for the season to you.
Martin

Ashman

Visit site
Back in 1968 Joe and Di Macleod lived on Curlew - his business card states his address as "Houseboat Curlew, Saltings, Burham on Crouch, Phone 2117 (Licensing hours)". His post was delivered c/o Tucker Browns. I crewed for him on a couple of yacht deliveries, unfortunately both occasions were rather disastrous experiences as both yachts were in very poor shape. Both Joe and Di were generous and very helpful and I think I remember Curlew failing to float on more than one spring tide! I taught sailing on the MTB Enterprise during one season working for Mick White (I think?) and his wife. Happy memories!!!

MRF

Visit site
Ashman,
my good friend, Steve Bowen, also lived on Curlew and often had to repair planks or even replace them between tides. Eventually even his skill and fortitude was insufficient and she was burned and he moved onto Anne Marie with Suzie...somebody, then his father bought him Vanity. For some strange reason his Dad insisted on renaming her Pegotty and then the little dinghy, Barkus, because in Dickens, Barkus was tender on (to?) Pegotty. Hmm. Steve and I called her Vanity because that was her last registered name at Lloyds. To hell with Dickens, we were young after all!
Di was a lovely lady though. I only ever remember Joe drunk!

Martin

Ashman

Visit site
Martin
What a great story. I guess the shoreline changed considerably with the building of the marina. I last sailed into Burnham 10 years ago and it all looked very different although one of the ferro cement lighters still looked familiar.
Yes Joe did like his drink!
Ashman

MRF

Visit site
Hi ashman,
yes, when Tucker Brown's got above themselves with the ghastly new marina it all changed for the worse, but at least Iris and Willow Wren got away. So did Vanity, but her owner disappeared and she is now at Classic Boats in Bristol, in a bad way and for sale for £1! to anyone who will agree to Classic Boats doing the work.
Fat chance, I'd say, which is why I'm building an accurate scale model of her. I still have a lot of photos of her interior.

Cheers,
Martin

chrisjpotter

Visit site
Back in 1968 Joe and Di Macleod lived on Curlew - his business card states his address as "Houseboat Curlew, Saltings, Burham on Crouch, Phone 2117 (Licensing hours)". His post was delivered c/o Tucker Browns. I crewed for him on a couple of yacht deliveries, unfortunately both occasions were rather disastrous experiences as both yachts were in very poor shape. Both Joe and Di were generous and very helpful and I think I remember Curlew failing to float on more than one spring tide! I taught sailing on the MTB Enterprise during one season working for Mick White (I think?) and his wife. Happy memories!!!

Mick Willett (occasionally referred to as "Swillit" although I can't think why???) - he was quite recently the commodore of the Crouch Yact Club

MRF

Visit site
We used to call him Square head, because ...it, erm...WAS!!
All the time I lived on Vanity he never spoke to me. And he was right behind me.
Martin

SMS

Visit site
Hi martin....Solveig here....do you remember me? Jim Bird is still going strong in Burnham - still living in the house at the end of the high street opp the Vic. Lovely houseboats all gone now just lighters now. I sail from Althorne now - behind bridgemarsh island so often down in Burnham. I'm off the the White harte tomorrow for lunch - I'm going to look for the photo of Iris and Vanity.

MRF

Visit site
Hi Solveig,
I often wondered what happened to you!
I had no idea you sailed.
Thanks for the news of Jimmi Bird and the Starship Hawklord up the High Street.

PM sent with our e-mail address.

Lovely to hear from you.
Martin

Nicholas Smith

Visit site
Hi Martin,
Sorry to tell you that Dad died 2 years ago :(
He had emigrated to New Zealand and settled down with Mum there. Mum died 8 years ago!
Yes, he did love his roll-ups in liqourice papers...but unfortunately that is what caused the cancer in the end! Can't say he had a quiet life, even up to the end he was telling everyone his crazy stories.
We had a remembrance service for him at the corinthian 2 years ago, it was great to see lots of old friends.
Sorry about the bad news!
Have a great Christmas and all the best for 2011...
Hi Izzy, you probably won't remember me, I went to school with your brothers Brian and Stuart. Ive been trying to trace them for years but have had no luck. I found some great photos on Getty Images of your Dad and Stuart on the Iris in Neutral Bay Australia, though now 30yrs old they bought back memories of the Burnham scene of the late 70's . Sorry to hear about your Mum and Dad. Dad was a remarkable man and made a big impression on me. He was the only man I knew who could drive a Citroen DS and make a rollie with one hand. If you could let me know how I could contact Brian and Stuart (Jasper and Willy) I would really appreciate it.
Regards Nick.