Old Furlex gear

charterbroker

Visit site
Hello all. Does anyone know where to find old Furlex B MKII gear for a 30ft Ballard? Long since ceased manufacture. The top swivel is worn out. Any wisdom gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
I have repaired the furling drum of a similar Furlex mk.2 by carefull cleaning and fitting new bearing balls. The aluminium ball tracks were pretty bad. I deepened them on the lathe and then turned the edges so they did not foul each other but allowed the balls to work as intended.

Another, with the ball tracks broken away on the sides I got working well enough to get the boat across the Irish sea back home to England by using 1/4 inch O/D plastic covered electrical cable as bearing rings instead of the worn and missing balls.

Never done a top swivel, but something might be done if you can tell us the extent of the wear, and on what particular parts.

biscuit

Visit site
After "losing" part of my Furlex 2B overboard (dont ask) a couple of years ago I tried all over, and was was lucky to source a replacement
from the very helpful Alastair at Mast and Rigging Services (Scotland) based in Largs. worth a try?
E Mail: info@mastandrigging.co.uk

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Try looking on ebay - someone is selling bits of furlex gear, from memory both top & bottom parts.
Just checked and there is a type B available at £75 but not sure if it's the same as yours.

Last edited: