Old Forge Pub

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoidberg

Visit site
I'll save my pennies, then, until we know what they'll charge for a pint.
There are already suggestions of 'Tourist Prices'....

Mark-1

Visit site
I wonder if the state chipping in half a mill is a good idea. If it's not a successful business, why is it worth so much? If it *is* a successful business why can't they borrow the money?

ctva

Visit site
It’s a ’social business’. Not everything has to be obsessed with shareholder profit.
If a business does not make a profit, it’s not going to be a business for long.

So as a ‘social business’, who pays the bills?

D

Deleted member 36384

If a business does not make a profit, it’s not going to be a business for long.

So as a ‘social business’, who pays the bills?

CalMac is an example of a social business that does not pay its way and require tax payer funding to maintain the social need. In my opinion, this one off payment helps a community achieve a need to support the social viability of the community. The arithmetic suggests that the grant will top up the balance needed to buy the property and allow the refurbishment and staff funding to go ahead. Hopefully this "leg up" will help it so that it can pay its way without any further tax funding.

dgadee

Visit site
Particularly when it is going to that arrogant Belgian who ruined the ambience of the place. I wonder how they decided his valuation was acceptable.

House prices there seem pretty high, too, if you look at the historical sales record. Not an area for me.

D

Deleted member 36384

Particularly when it is going to that arrogant Belgian who ruined the ambience of the place. I wonder how they decided his valuation was acceptable.

The Nationality of the current owner is irrelevant. Its up for sale, the community has an opportunity to buy it. Whether public funds should be used for this sort of thing strikes at the heart of the issue: owners that have destroyed communities through lack of investment. Maybe government land grabs and asset repatriations at a loss tot he owner is better solution, or maybe not.

Mark-1

Visit site
. I wonder how they decided his valuation was acceptable.

I've every reason to think the Government have ways to keep corruption out of this kind of thing but it does seem a bit odd that the valuation for this pub is so high it seemingly precludes the purchase from being being funded by borrowing secured against the pub itself.

Which seems to me, by definition, an over valuation.

Hard not to wonder if the price might have substantially increased because a grant was available. Anyone know how these things are calculated?

Last edited:

Ink

Visit site
The Nationality of the current owner is irrelevant. Its up for sale, the community has an opportunity to buy it. Whether public funds should be used for this sort of thing strikes at the heart of the issue: owners that have destroyed communities through lack of investment. Maybe government land grabs and asset repatriations at a loss tot he owner is better solution, or maybe not.

Think you'll find the nationality of all the locals....

Is not local.

Ink

D

Deleted member 36384

Irrelevant, but strangely controversial. I've heard Dutch, Belgian and German and heated debates about which is correct.

The controversy is from mismanagement of the land and communities by owners. There is a long history of mismanagement to the detriment of communities by British, Scottish and foreign owners of land, which is why community buy outs were empowered by the devolved parliament. Therefore the only reason nationality of the owner is an issue is because of some form of bigotry, the implication being that a national owner may be better. I agree it is strange as we Scots are quite happy to crap on our fellow Scots frequently.

Think you'll find the nationality of all the locals....

Is not local.

Ink

I couldn't care less what their nationality is, there are many Scottish Communities that are not populated by national locals. Gigha has many British, English people running the businesses. Polish people can be found in many places, serving customers. Is is not an issue except to bigots.

I do have opinions on viability and how much support should be given by a government. For example, should the cost of running the ferry be born by the community or subsidised by government, does the government have a duty to build a road into the area because there is a community there? Is the support given to this community per capita comparable to the support given to say, Easterhouse in Glasgow? If the business does not manage to pay its overheads, what happens then? On a whole, I agree with the payment because the community exists and is successful.

The UK economy is a mixed economy, part managed free market, part state operated and managed. We have fairly open laws, or lack of law, that allows foreign owners of land and businesses. We vote for governments that generally support this arrangement. Hence this is what the British people want. It's a bit ridiculous to worry about the nationality of the owner, or anyone who is legally living in the country and conducting their affairs within the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.