OK then a sailing question about sails

G

My big genoa (180% - I have an old fashioned masthead rig) has started to develop a curl in the leach. It's quite heavy cloth for a big sail (I think 5.5oz Dacron). One piece of advice I took was to put some extra height between the deck and the tack and to sheet it with a more vertical pull putting the leach in greater tension. This was limited to raising the tack by 4" otherwise the head would be in the block up top. This helped, but in 15kn of wind I need to tighten the leach line. Then it curls to about 45º over say 3".

Is this bad or normal?

What might be done to improve it?

Thanks in advance, Andy

G

How old is your genoa ? It could be that it just needs replacing. With most sailmakers now offering a panel replacement service for old / tired sails it might be worth sending it away to get looked at. Otherwise get a new one and look at the difference between yours and the new sails most are now done by 'hot cutting the leach' to give a perfect fit and shape. If you send it away it they will be able to alter it for you. Try Parker & Kay Sails (pandksouth@aol.com) or UK sails (01489 583583).....

G

Thks, it was new in Oct 1998,

and sailed about 2000 miles since then. I'll try to find a hot cutting service closer to home. Appreciate the advice, Andy

G

Should have provided more information with my post, apologies.

It is hanked, and religiously flaked and bagged when down - Why? because it is too damn big to handle any other way.

It's cross cut, and it's big 'cos I insisted to have the biggest headsail I could fit on the boat. My boat is a 34 yr old long keel Cheoy Lee with what you might call these days a "low aspect" masthead rig. This Genoa sheets right down to the rail near the winch.

The genoa was new in Oct 1998 and has about 2000 miles since then (Ok I didn't wear it all of those miles). But I don't want to buy yet another new sail right now. I do abuse it, but yes it is a heavy cloth - we get a lot of sudden gusts and squalls and I wanted to have a big sail which would not "blow out" while I deliberating about shortening sail. Bullet-proof as you mentioned.

I know I can have it re-cut - is that the solution?

I did not hear any answer about the curl. Is a 3" 45º curl normal or unacceptable?

Is there a cure like maybe applying a heat gun or hot iron to it, . . . if you folks tell me it should not curl as much as that?

Still seeking guidance, Andy

G

flying with the flaps permanently down.

Usually caused because there's too much tension on the Leach and it has stretched any cull is too much all it does is to block the flow off the sail and make the sail very very inefficient, like flying with the flaps permanently down.

Given that you do not use a roller headsail system and flake your sails you could get your sail maker to fit a batterns in the Leach! While he's at it you could even and a little Roach if you really want a large genoa. The other alternative is to have the Leach re-cut in a concave shape.

Whatever you do find the reason for the curl of developing and solve that otherwise the this will be an end this problem. My guess is that the problem is that the sheeting angle has always been incorrect and it has put too much tension on the Leach.

G

I agree with Peter...

Although 3in of curl of 45 degreesis probably not creating a huge amount of drag, relatively, it is better not to have it. To have developed to this extent over just three years is worrying and I think Peter's diagnosis is correct. It's impossible to advise without seeing the sail and set up 'on the ground', but it sounds as if you have moved the lead too far forward and are pulling down too hard on the leech. Moving it aft a foot or two will ease the load. It may also allow the head to twist off a little and open up the airflow between main and genny allowing it to produce more lift and less drag.

Since the sail is so new it is certainly not worth getting a new one. You should be able to sort this one with no great difficulty or expense.

I am not sure I would follow Peter's advice about sail battens. I recon you've already got as much sail area as practical aalready. However, on a long keeled Cheoy Lee, I can understand your desire to get as much aloft as possible.

G

Re: I agree with Peter......

..... batten the leach it`ll keep it straight you`ll probably need 3/4 battens putting in it. What it`ll do is stop the leach from closing over, thus making the alr flow sweeter accross it giving more lift, power, more performance, unsure about cost though ask around and go with the one you think will do the best job.

G

A re-cut could be the answer

Is your sail a roller or hanked/headoil?

If tghe former, then the stretch is probably in the sacrificial strip down the leecch. This is comparatively easy and cheap to replace and will solve the problem instantly.

If it is the latter, then a re-cdut will probablysolve the problem though it willbemore complicated anbd expensive, depending on the method of construction (cross cut, bi- or tri-radial). The chances are any reasonably well established local sailmaker will do a good job for you.

However, depending on the age and condition of the rest of the sail, and the sort of sailing you do, you might consider this to be the time to bite the bullet and get a new sail. You might also relect on whether this was the time to invest in roller furling etc.

It sounds as it the sail is pretty heavy and bullet proof so it may well be that it is in generally good and unstretched condition. If you only cruise gently, a new sail would not then be worthwhile.

A final thought: even for an older, masthead rigged boat, a 180 per cent genoa sounds a massively large sail. What sort of boat it she? If she was mine and I was cruising with the family, I would be tempted to have the sail cut down to about 140/150 per cent while I was having the leech sorted.

G

Thanks all. I certainly don\'t fancy the idea of battens.

Hauling that sail round the mast is tough enough as it is!

I'll need to get a sailmaker to look at it sometime.