Oily advice, please

G

A couple of my friends are looking to buy new foul weather gear. They are just getting into sailing, and will be coastal cruising in this country, but don't expect to sail in winter. He is 6' 4", she 5' 9". Their budget is up to £300 a suit. Any advice? Have there been any reviews in the mags recently?

G

Best you can buy and make it breathable...

Despite not being winter sailors, its always nice to have the warmest, driest, suit you can get as the weather isnt great.

I'd recommend the XM Ocean suits which go for around £250 for jacket and trousers. Fully breathable, wear patches and lovely warm high collar.

It may look a bit OTT for summer but if its sunny,you'll be in your swim shorts, if its raining, you'll be thankful for the suit!

G

All my crew for this year's racing been looking this year... general concensus .. Breathable : Must Musto - overpriced Henri Lloyd - not so easy to move around Gill - generably favoured especially as some good deals can be had for last years colours XM - Solid but material less flexible - work ok though Compass - cheap and chearful if not to be used much

As for me, my Musto HPX are from 1996 and are as new despite taking quite a hammering in that time - if buying again I wouldnt hesitate to get the same..

hoep this helps

G

Compass Offshore Innovation suits - only £160 - got Sailing Today's vote.

Sorry for pluggung the competition.

G

Compass Oilies

I have a set of these. Extremely comfortable and easy to move around in. Unfortunately I am not totally convinced that they are waterproof. After a recent day's sailing in the rain I discovered that my trousers were damp in a pattern that suggested that the fabric is NOT 100% waterproof.

I reported this to Compass and they say they will be happy to look at them - but it will take 6 weeks! I am considering voting with my wallet and going for another make instead!

G

Re: Oily advice, please : Why spend so much for tailor made kit.

The most improbable place to find a maker of good oilies is on top of the Pennines. Perhaps that is why, if you try them on in the shop, and nothing fits, they'll make what you want for no extra charge above the standard 'off the peg' price.

Or at least that was the practice a few years ago when a bloke I know whose circumference exceeds his height needed new oilies.

Where is this economical haven of nautical nattiness ?

It is at a place called Marsden, up on the moors above Huddersfield. The business is called TYKE. (What else would you expect a Yorkshire business to be called ?) Or they may be listed as Tyke Outdoor Wear.

My oilies have all the features of the competition at little more than half the price. (And appart from the anti-fouling stains, they have lasted very well.)

Colin H.

G

Re: Oily advice, please : Why spend so much for tailor made kit.

I can second that.

Bought mine in 1991 and still going strong.

My wife had her's made to measure at no extra price, that was in 1994.

Not breathable but jackets are padded to give floatation and are warm enough for Northern climes.

Far cheaper than "known" makes and excellent quality.

Needless to say I have no connection with the company.

G

Before you finally buy checkout the "Sea Angler" mag there are some really good suits available now which also offer floatation as well, up to 300n in the survival suit range