Oiling winches

Poignard

Visit site
I generally use paraffin for cleaning machinery and I have two containers, one contains clean paraffin and the other used.

A wash in the second is followed by a wash in the clean stuff.

Sometimes, in the workshop, I use Gunk or Jizer.

For something like a clock I use Horolene in an ultrasonic tank followed by a water wash then an alcohol rinse to remove the water.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Muc off is overkill for sheet winches IMHO. Mainly you need to remove the hardened grease for which paraffin is fine and cheap. I put all the bits except the plastic in an old washing up bowl overnight. Any solvent would do but paraffin is cheap and freely available and smells better than diesel.

Agree, but if I have a 5 litre can with some petrol in it on the boat for the outboard, buggered if I am going to go out and buy 5 litres of paraffin!

If I take the winch pieces home, I have a pro workshop degreaser to use.

Which uses water soluble degreaser, and is annually topped up with left over petrol from the outboard...................................

Refueler

Visit site
Poignard mentions something that I've done for years - which I saw my Father and Uncle do ...... have two containers for cleaning fluid.

One is the initial wash to get all the crap of ... then another of same fluid but now clean to remove any left over.

The first usually the muck settles out - so I can then decant reasonably clean fluid of - to then be able to dispose of the crud.

I do this with paint brush cleaning etc. (The final brush clean of course is soap and water to get rid of the brush cleaner and allow the bristles to hang and air dry ).

But this is getting off topic now ...

Beneteau381

Visit site
I thought you had a number of health issues (from which I sincerely hope you will recover). Could they be attributable to washing in lighter fractional distillates inc early versions with tetraethyl lead ?
No, I suspect the smoking habit which culminated in 80 a day in Egypt where Marlborough cost $10 for 200 in 1986. I was newly married, working nights on a new plant commissioning it, after we had done the QA QC on the build. I thought if I carry this on I will die, so I stopped, cold turkey! But talking to the oncologist, he said many factors cause it, including smoking.