Oil around starter motor KAD 43 ??

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
www.jensenengland.co.uk
6-ED7-BC53-C569-4269-B13-E-4-CCD43-F14-AF5.jpg

I’ve cleaned it up but there was quite a lot of oil around this area from yesterday’s trip
Where would it be from?

SimonD

Visit site
If I remember correctly, the CAC (aka intercooler) is directly above. It has a drain on it and oil getting past the turbo collects there.

julians

Visit site
at least your starter motor wont go rusty! think of it as a kind of active corrosion prevention system

BruceK

Visit site
Your turbo is leaking oil, it collects in the CAC and that then drains as per design from the bottom of the CAC. Is this the troublesome engine? Sounds like the bearings have blown

Reactions: vas

SimonD

Visit site
In that case, if you haven't already done so, open the drain tap on the CAC to let out any oil. If there is oil, you might want to take the top off the CAC, pull out the matrix and give it a good clean. It won't help your engine breathe if it's blocked with oil.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
www.jensenengland.co.uk
In that case, if you haven't already done so, open the drain tap on the CAC to let out any oil. If there is oil, you might want to take the top off the CAC, pull out the matrix and give it a good clean. It won't help your engine breathe if it's blocked with oil.
Thanks Simon
The leak was where the oil goes in and when I replaced the turbos 3 years ago I didn’t do the nut up quite tight enough and got a very small dribble which built up before I noticed it.
I should do what you say and clean up the matrix but I’ve been on holiday now for 3 days and spent most of it in the engine room
Cheers

BruceK

Visit site
Great replies
I did have an oil leak some time ago and I noticed the oil I cleaned up was very gummy so stands a good chance of it being the residual of that
Thanks chaps

Not to add to your woes but very gummy sounds like the super charger is leaking oil. That once whipped up tends to go from extremely thin to gummy (like mucous in both colour and consistency). I'd check the SC oil level and if low check the muffler for oil residue to confirm if it's leaking or not. The SC can spin up to IIRC about 11k rpm which if it engages at at engine rpm in excess of 3krpm can cause it to over run and damage the main bearing causing it to leak.

Momac

Visit site
I get a few spots after running at slow speeds but it clears up after running fast .
It's the same on both my kad32's . One had the turbo rebuilt after the leak became quite bad. But it still spits some oil after slow running.
Wiped up with a paper towel it is nothing much.

The supercharger should consume no oil . Easy to check.