OfCom

claymore

Visit site
I am currently faffing with some navigation software and needed to input my MMSI number. That is on the boat - we are locked down so I thought I'd contact Ofcom to resolve the issue.
If you've ever been on their website, you might agree that it seems to be based on "Do you have a complaint" at every level you get to - which led me to believe that their customers (us in part) must be a moaning bunch of beggars.
Anyway, I got through, spoke to a charming woman who directed me to an equally charming and helpful male colleague who sent me a password change link and the job is sorted.

What on earth do people complain to them about?

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Yes indeed. If you can get through on the phone to the office in London SE1, they are very helpful and will talk you through the button pressing in real time.

jwilson

Visit site
You could probably have found the MMSI number in seconds on the MARS ITU website - look for "Ship Stations" and search by boat name and country code G for UK. Good to hear Ofcom were helpful though.

claymore

Visit site
You could probably have found the MMSI number in seconds on the MARS ITU website - look for "Ship Stations" and search by boat name and country code G for UK. Good to hear Ofcom were helpful though.
So where were you yesterday afternoon when I could have done with this gem? :giggle:

Leighb

Visit site
As it happens I have just been on the Ofcom site to change my licence addresses, surrender my old ships licence as I sold the boat that relates to, and apply for a portable ships licence.

All went smoothly. What is the problem?
Thanks for mentioning that Change of Address needs notifying. We are moving house soonish and I will add Ofcom to the list I am compiling.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
Thanks for mentioning that Change of Address needs notifying. We are moving house soonish and I will add Ofcom to the list I am compiling.
Yes it was mainly change of address that I was doing. that seemed to go through instantly.

I also applied for a portable ships licence for my handheld, that will be interesting to see if it just goes through.

SteveA

Visit site
I've just done this and found our yachts info BUT I also found a previous owner still registered for the same boat with a different mmsi - any idea how to get this removed?

Daverw

Visit site
Is it possible the previous owner has a new boat with the same name, did you check the call sign as this stays with the boat

SteveA

Visit site
Is it possible the previous owner has a new boat with the same name, did you check the call sign as this stays with the boat
I've just checked again and it's definitely the same boat as it had a name change some years ago but the call sign has changed from MBEK4 to MCID8 so I would like to get this removed.