Ofcom registration

ashtead

Visit site
I wondered if others have had issues with their site. I have had a registered ship licence but having invested in a new handheld registered and set up a new licence for DSC handheld etc which generated new MMSI number and duly input into the SH set. What I could not work out is why if you have a ship licence the system doesn’t recognise you when to register the handheld ? I understand they are separate licence but the site doesn’t seem to acknowledge your ship licence ?

V1701

Visit site
Sounds like you've ended up creating a new licence rather than amending/updating the existing one. Given that you've used the mmsi from the new licence I'd just run with that and cancel/delete the old licence if you can. I updated my licence a few weeks ago with no problems...

Momac

Visit site
Must admit I don't see a DSC handheld as an option on the list of equipment.
My handheld is not DSC but a friend has one and I would like to know the correct procedure to advise him.
Is creating a separate new license the correct method for a DSC handheld?

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I found this so confusing when I did the exact same thing in December, that I posted screenshots here in the hope that it would help others.

I obtained an MMSI for my handheld the other day - I found doing so only a little confusing.

The option for a ship portable radio license is now obvious, but not before I had tried amending my ship's license to no effect. It can't be possible that the option for a portable doesn't appear until you have a ship's license, because I read on their forums of kayakers applying for them,

Including screenshots in case they make this easier for someone else to navigate:

JD57JyN.png

CO4eqZo.png

Make sure the issued MMSI number begins with 2359 - that's how you know it's a portable one (until they change the rules!).

I would happily use mine overseas, and can't see this being officiously policed. At least Ofcom are ensuring unique numbers are used - I bet there are parts of the world where people just make up a number to use as their handheld MMSI.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Ship radio license for fixed VHF, non DS handheld etc.

Ship portable license for DSC handheld. Separate MMSI.

Both should be on the same account, but different licenses. If you managed to get them on different accounts, i wouldn't worry, if you have the licenses and MMSI numbers, should be fine. Could also give Ofcom a call and see if they can move the handheld to the same account as the fixed set (if the are on separate accounts.).

ashtead

Visit site
Many thanks to all for comments. I guess my surprise was that having entered customer details to register to logon and hence set up licence for handheld it didn’t join up with my historic paper licence application for ships licence. I am happy as I now have the 2 MMSI as required though . It might be useful to try calling one from the other for example . I will dig out paperwork for original licence though and mail Ofcom along lines suggested. It might be just down to my lack of knowledge of their website but it didn’t strike me as particularly customer centric.