October 2021

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Surprisingly it's been quite a busy season with anchorage packed to the bim at times ,
But since a weeks ago that's all changed .
The anchorage in the photo this time last week there was over 45 boats anchored during day time and 20 over night ,
Yesterday just us , Last night just us and our neighbours in the photo,
Don't we just love autumn sailing.
Offcause with autumn comes the storms , one which is on its way on Thursday.
Thank god all the boats have gone and we can empty our chain locker into the sea .

Attachments

• 20211004_183700.jpg
    20211004_183700.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20211005-035948_Earth.jpg
    Screenshot_20211005-035948_Earth.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20211005-041551_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211005-041551_Samsung Internet.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Surprisingly it's been quite a busy season with anchorage packed to the bim at times ,
But since a weeks ago that's all changed .
The anchorage in the photo this time last week there was over 45 boats anchored during day time and 20 over night ,
Yesterday just us , Last night just us and our neighbours in the photo,
Don't we just love autumn sailing.
Offcause with autumn comes the storms , one which is on its way on Thursday.
Thank god all the boats have gone and we can empty our chain locker into the sea .
I find that short scope in a crowded anchorage is the most frustrating and dangerous situation when at anchor. Loud music is second but way down the list.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I find that short scope in a crowded anchorage is the most frustrating and dangerous situation when at anchor. Loud music is second but way down the list.
If I can't lay a 5.1 scope , I don't bother ,
Even when you think the weather settled and nothing forecaster , you can still end up in a blow ,
Just have to read my snubber post a few weeks back .

Weather a funny thing.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
And to night we be letting out 7.1 with what about to hit us in the next 24 hours.
Start early hour to morrow and the worst won't pass till Friday afternoon .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211006-164858.png
    Screenshot_20211006-164858.png
    951.4 KB · Views: 21

BurnitBlue

Visit site
And to night we be letting out 7.1 with what about to hit us in the next 24 hours.
Start early hour to morrow and the worst won't pass till Friday afternoon .
Best of luck with that 7:1 scope. Hope nobody uses the space to drop their anchor on top of yours. Happened to me once.

I am still ashore in Ionion Marine. The boats are hauling out and coming ashore like those penguins chased by an Orca. I have decided to live on the edge and leave my awning up. After all it can only get ripped to shreds. Ermmm, thinking about that, I may take it down.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Best of luck with that 7:1 scope. Hope nobody uses the space to drop their anchor on top of yours. Happened to me once.

I am still ashore in Ionion Marine. The boats are hauling out and coming ashore like those penguins chased by an Orca. I have decided to live on the edge and leave my awning up. After all it can only get ripped to shreds. Ermmm, thinking about that, I may take it down.
Scope all down only us in the anchorages, everyone else as taken the sensible route and headed for a marinas,although there wasn't many in the first place,
As I write this the wind drop to nothing , I expect that will change once its late and dark .

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Scope all down only us in the anchorages, everyone else as taken the sensible route and headed for a marinas,although there wasn't many in the first place,
As I write this the wind drop to nothing , I expect that will change once its late and dark .
An official warning from a Greek department. Tie down loose oblects, stay in doors, prepare for floods. Message interupted the program I was watching. Seems serious. Weather forcasts repeat max winds F6 gusting F7 so I was not concerned. Maybe the danger is in the squalls. Take care.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
It is now a severe weather warning for Ionian land and seas. The weather forcasts still show only F6 to F7. So what is going on? No wind at all right now @ 22:55. The real problem I have noticed in Boatyards is flying solar panels that are angled to catch the sun. Lethal like slates off a roof. I remember those days in Manchester, walking close to the wall.

Edit. Just checked weatheronline. The severe weather warning must be for lightning and rain. Hardly any wind but weatheronline gives 14 days of continuous thunderstorms and rain for the next fortnight.

Last edited:

AndrewB

Visit site
It is now a severe weather warning for Ionian land and seas. The weather forcasts still show only F6 to F7. So what is going on? No wind at all right now @ 22:55. The real problem I have noticed in Boatyards is flying solar panels that are angled to catch the sun. Lethal like slates off a roof. I remember those days in Manchester, walking close to the wall.

Edit. Just checked weatheronline. The severe weather warning must be for lightning and rain. Hardly any wind but weatheronline gives 14 days of continuous thunderstorms and rain for the next fortnight.
Windty has been giving gusts to 42kts for several hours around midday tomorrow at Gouvia, Corfu. But other forecasts less.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Thunderstorm are just north of us along the Sicilian coast heading your way .

We anchored yesterday on the north Malta coast for protection from strong southerly winds only to get caught out , as another thunderstorm appeared and put all five boats on s Lee shore.

After hour and a half of bouncing about and stretching of snubber with no end in sight and darkness about to fall on is ,
we had enough took some fighting to remove both snubbers and haul up 60 mts chain , but glad we did once in deeper water and the wind up our bum , it became much more comfortable.
One hour after we reanchored one by one came the other four boats .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
A quick thread drift .
I love to know what them people who post on these thread ( I got no experience but going to buy a boat to live on and not going to use marinas but anchor every night of the coast )
Like the one that's been running ,
When they have to deal with these conditions.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
A quick thread drift .
I love to know what them people who post on these thread ( I got no experience but going to buy a boat to live on and not going to use marinas but anchor every night of the coast )
Puzzles me too. Buying a boat with no sailing experience is not difficult at all. The two activities of buying a boat and then sailing her demand seperate expertise. The difference between the skills of a merchant and the spirit of a sailing adventurer. Basically, unless buying new, the purchase of a used boat is a lottery mitigated slightly by a good survey.

The difference becomes important when a DECISION must be made (like your decision to up anchor and move) rather than be a rabbit in the headlight. I am sure the other four boats may have took their cue from your decision. Well done vic.

Later. Civil protection just issued an alert to avoid basements, and flood areas. Sms to my phone. So it is floods on land that has generated the extreme weather alert.

Last edited:

Bajansailor

Visit site
A quick thread drift .

Your fine sailing yacht looks very suited for Med conditions - what type / size is she please?
Re the dodger / sprayhood to which the mainsheet is attached - is this a standard item, or did you design / add it afterwards?

And re your 7:1 scope out, this begs the question - what anchor are you using?

Vic's boat.jpg

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
Well I'm sitting this out in Villasimius marina on the SE tip of Sardinia. So we are a few hundred miles further into the teeth of this than Vic. Somewhat exposed to the NW winds which have just woken me up at 6am.
We arrived here later than planned yesterday and it was already blowing hard. The marina staff put us on an alongside berth, getting blown on. Fortunately we are using two lazy lines to (just about) keep us off the pontoon. Just taken a look and we have sustained 35kt+ winds. Max I have seen is 42kts in a very brief spell when I poked my head up to check on everything. All looks secure for now.
On our way in yesterday we passed two boats at anchor just around the headland. They should be protected from swell but the land is quite low lying so they will get most of the wind.
Take care everyone.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Your fine sailing yacht looks very suited for Med conditions - what type / size is she please?
Re the dodger / sprayhood to which the mainsheet is attached - is this a standard item, or did you design / add it afterwards?

And re your 7:1 scope out, this begs the question - what anchor are you using?

View attachment 123709
Sorry that not us but the only other boat in the anchorage .

If I tell you what anchor we use it going to start another anchor war , but just to say it's one of the best NG anchors on the market , not that there much different in any of the NG anchored as long as they used right and set.

As for the 7.1 scope , it's only used when there any storm forecaster over F7 and as long as there room to lay that much ,
our normal scope is 5.1 ,
A good reason for this is for s start the way our chain is marked but more importantly it works ,
There a very old saying ( chain in the locker will be of no use )
Without getting onto the discussion of anchors ,scope let me just say we been doing this for many years,
And unlike many who post on ybw we don't have the opportunity to anchor in protected rivers where a 3.1 scope will glue you to the muddy river bed .
We use a scope that we know works ,
Only just a month ago we got hit with an expected thunderstorms of the coast is Sicily and although we was protected from the light breeze for cast, the storm came form 180d which left us open to the sea and put us on a Lee shore , snapping two 14mm snubbers but our anchor held throught out the 80 mins ordeal.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Well I'm sitting this out in Villasimius marina on the SE tip of Sardinia. So we are a few hundred miles further into the teeth of this than Vic. Somewhat exposed to the NW winds which have just woken me up at 6am.
We arrived here later than planned yesterday and it was already blowing hard. The marina staff put us on an alongside berth, getting blown on. Fortunately we are using two lazy lines to (just about) keep us off the pontoon. Just taken a look and we have sustained 35kt+ winds. Max I have seen is 42kts in a very brief spell when I poked my head up to check on everything. All looks secure for now.
On our way in yesterday we passed two boats at anchor just around the headland. They should be protected from swell but the land is quite low lying so they will get most of the wind.
Take care everyone.
We know the bay well and as you say , it can blow hard there ,
Your lucky in the sense that the corner your in is getting less then the SW part of Sardinia .
If you got 42kts I hate to think what's they got .

It now day light and the night pass without a problem ,
gust around 30kt but The worst as not reach us yet ,
You too keep safe .