Oceania 331 Lifting Keel

AlanOB

Visit site
Hi all. I’m looking at some lift keel or swing keel boats between 30’ and 34’ that will be taking the ground fairly regularly on hard sand. I’ve been looking at the Oceania 331 with the lifting keel, and that has the flanges on the bottom of the hull to help stability.

anyone have any experience of these on a drying mooring? Are they relatively stable if there are people walking around on deck above?

greeny

Visit site
Hi all. I’m looking at some lift keel or swing keel boats between 30’ and 34’ that will be taking the ground fairly regularly on hard sand. I’ve been looking at the Oceania 331 with the lifting keel, and that has the flanges on the bottom of the hull to help stability.

anyone have any experience of these on a drying mooring? Are they relatively stable if there are people walking around on deck above?
I've got a 323 which has similar if not same keel arrangement.
I don't keep it on a drying mooring but have dried out for maintenance / cleaning etc on numerous occasions. I always pick my spot and my weather. Firm sand is good, minimal slope, no rocks or boulders obviously. If there's any wave or swell it can bump as it takes the ground and I wouldn't want to leave it on a mooring open to weather for this reason. Otherwise in calm conditions it dries out just fine. I walk all over mine when it's dried out with no stability problems.
Unattended on a drying mooring? Not for me. I'm not saying it won't be ok but who knows what the weather will do, waves and windage.

Daverw

Visit site

Not the same boat but our Kelt 29 has full lifting keel and small side fins to level off when on ground, it dies have a full cast iron slipper bottom so when grounded it’s not sat on the GRP, however we do dry it out on some trips but as said on hard sand the pounding could be a concern, would not like to leave it to do this regularl, mud/ soft sand different mater

Birdseye

Visit site

I had a look last time I was in the market and the official dealer made it quite clear that they were designed for occasional taking to the ground only. Not recommended by Benny for a grounding permanent mooring or regular grounding. When the manufacturer tells you that you listen.