Obstruction to Uphill Boatyard entrance channel

graham

Visit site
A 50 foot boat has sunk blocking the channel .Before attempting to go up the creek to Uphill Yard contact the Yard to check its been removed.(Not a 5 minute job by the looks of it)
image003.jpg

happybonzo

Visit site
... and a 5kva Genny fell off the back, so I'm told, and disappeared in the mud when it got stuck.
Now the Envoironment people are involved 'cos there's still fuel in the tanks
Don't know how on earth it will get moved: It's too narrow to get barges either side of it. The banks are too far away to get a big crane to it.
Watch this space!

muckypup

Visit site
Put a sign on it saying "please don't steal this boat"... it will be gone in a week! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think the tender needs topping up with a little air!

S.

happybonzo

Visit site
Some-one tried to move it on the highest tide of the year (in September) using a RIB - needless to say, it got away from them and went straight into the bank.
It is now filling with silt so it will be even harder to move
btw - You can see the Genny in the pic but its gone under the stern

graham

Visit site
is it completely blocking the channel to the uphill pontoons?if so theres going to be some very irate boat owners ,not to mention the yard owners .

happybonzo

Visit site
Still blocked! The Environment Agency(?) has now put a block (no pun intended) on any salvage work being undertaken because of pollution fears.
The latest "bright idea" is that the current will create a new Channel: One wonders if these people are really Martians come to annoy the Human Race - LOL
Talking with a pal last night and he reckons that a Bilge-keeler may just be able to get thru at the top of a High Water Spring tide.
The trouble is that there are a number of Cats and Tris on the wrong side of the obstruction and they're stuffed.

G

Why don't they just fill the perishing thing up with empty oil drums? it will float off then.

There is always dynamite I suppose? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rustyknight

Visit site
I was over there today, and took these two pics.......

Uphill1.jpg

Uphill2.jpg

Got talking to a guy on a boat, and he was saying that (allegedly) the guy who tried to move it with the rib was a local powerboat instructor, and had been warned that he needed more boats to help tow it. Theys started the tow an hour after local high water, and had been trying to turn the boat round when it became stuck.

He added that the owner had last been seen running away as fast as possible!

Still no plans to move it either.....

happybonzo

Visit site
I believe that all Rustyknight's comments are true.
I am told that the owner may even have been on board the vessel as it was being towed.
He has since claimed that he was nowhere near the vessel at the time of the incident.
I am also told that they were advised not to move the said vessel using a RIB.
This one will run and run

graham

Visit site
I sailed over yesterday ,moored on WBYC's pontoon and walked over to Uphill pill. The wreck is still there,they have marked the stern of it with a green buoy, you need to keep right over to port on the way up the pill to squeeze past its stern.
006-1.jpg

Wunja

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Put a sign on it saying "please don't steal this boat"... it will be gone in a week!

[/ QUOTE ]

Its taken a bit more than a week, but it does seem to be getting smaller