Oban Bay Trust Port development

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Is the boundaries an extension of the port authority already in place , as this is an extensive bit of water, and we learned that during troubld times harbour authorities can stop movement of vessels an horing in their boundaries or using facilities
this was apparent during covid restriction easing when Canna harbour authority put these very restrictions in place,
yes you can argue canna is small this area is not, and one needs to look at the power a harbour authority has over their boundaries which can impede access laws and passage
I hope this gets discussed ,
this virus is not the first or last or any other incident
just my thoughts happy to be corrected, if I have misunderstood

cpedw

Visit site
The Trust Port proposal was a response to a move by CMAL (the ports and harbours branch of Calmac) to establish a CMAL harbour authority with similar boundaries. There is no effective harbour authority in most of Oban Bay at present.

Would you prefer a harbour run by CMAL for Calmac or a Trust run by the community for all harbour users?

FlyingGoose

Visit site
The Trust Port proposal was a response to a move by CMAL (the ports and harbours branch of Calmac) to establish a CMAL harbour authority with similar boundaries. There is no effective harbour authority in most of Oban Bay at present.

Would you prefer a harbour run by CMAL for Calmac or a Trust run by the community for all harbour users?
You are putting words and thoughts into my post, which were not there
I would prefer calmac as a scottish government organisation, I do not live in oban but I live in Scotland so the proposals will help those in oban area which is a good thing but since covid there has been a few harbour authorities flexing their power to the detriment of all.
So if covid goes into restrictions again and oban was a port authority they could with their powers restrict sailing, anchoring , stooping in their boundary
Please if you get the chance go to the Scottish government site and the powers applied to trust ports
So as I was asked about who I say a company owned by the Scottish government that will not lay down draconian laws as we saw the Scottish natural trust do in Canna harbour by using their harbour powers to stop anchoring in the bay.
During covid I have written to the NTS the Scottish government dept that looks after ports and my MSP Scotlands access laws should not be picked apart at the whim of a committee
IMho ofc
I will still carry this on until satisfied that access for all be it on land or sea are not restricted
Just me
I love my country and will not be told I cannot go there .

Quandary

Visit site
Goose, you have the wrong end of the stick here. Oban is a very busy ferry port and access to the harbour is already stricly controlled because of it. The people of the town think that if CMal become the harbour authority the interests of locals and other users such as visiting yachts may be sacrificed. It is the difference between a powerful quango with one main user against a balanced representation of all who use the port. How you can decide that a Scottish Government agency will be more responsive than a local trust simply baffles me.

For a current example look at the A83, one of only two roads in Argyll managed and maintained directly by Hollyrood and closed more often than open even in summer.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Thanks Q just going off on one
I first experienced the powers of harbour authorities during the covid lockdown , when sailing restrictions were lifted and over night stays allowed I set of right away heading for ports and islands north as a organised wee soul I checked on any restrictions and was dismayed at certain authorities using their powers to interpret the rules Canna a prime example, there was also another well known stop over harbour that said that all sailors anchored or moored must give details or they cannot land .
Then there were harbour authorities who had no restrictions and very welcoming .
It got me into researching up on this subject and I found out how much power an authority can have within its boundaries.
Clearly it has been a funny time during covid, but it showed in my opinion how restrictions can be implemented and access denied
Maybe I'm just being paranoid but it has been a funny summer

Quandary

Visit site
Canna is a bit different, for a start it is a very small island, owned and managed by the National Trust and with probably a 50-50 mix of natives to blow-ins. The 'harbour' is just a well sheltered yacht anchorages which has been 'developed' by laying a ring of visitor moorings. There is a ferrry slip in one corner which is now used daily. Other than yachts the only other occasional visitor is a fishing boat sheltering overnight. I was not aware that the use of the harbour was ever banned this year,there was some publicity about the locals not wanting visitors to come ashore, similar on Rum.
Us folk out in the sticks have not had much experience of Covid cases and are a bit more frightened by it than city folk, probably even more so on the islands with small integrated populations. If you could isolate your community and escape the disease it might seem like a good idea.

D

Deleted member 36384

Good luck to them and I hope they succeed. Locally managed by a group that represents all should allow the development of the facility to meet everyones needs.

dunedin

Visit site
Canna is a bit different, for a start it is a very small island, owned and managed by the National Trust and with probably a 50-50 mix of natives to blow-ins. The 'harbour' is just a well sheltered yacht anchorages which has been 'developed' by laying a ring of visitor moorings. There is a ferrry slip in one corner which is now used daily. Other than yachts the only other occasional visitor is a fishing boat sheltering overnight. I was not aware that the use of the harbour was ever banned this year,there was some publicity about the locals not wanting visitors to come ashore, similar on Rum.
Us folk out in the sticks have not had much experience of Covid cases and are a bit more frightened by it than city folk, probably even more so on the islands with small integrated populations. If you could isolate your community and escape the disease it might seem like a good idea.

I agree. And up until 4th July the Scottish Government (not Canna “harbour authority” or Scottish National Trust) prevented us from staying on board yachts , anywhere in Scotland. After that date Canna made clear they were happy with sailors anchoring or using moorings, but politely requested refraining from going ashore. I know because I was one of the first to use a Canna mooring in July. Two weeks later, mid July, going ashore was also welcomed. Again I was ashore there twice. So FG’s criticisms of Canna seem to be a misunderstanding (unless he was there in person and prevented from anchoring).

And back to the original topic, I fully support the community Trust Port, rather than being CalMac run as originally proposed.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Yup just letting of steam new moon,
Canna evoked its harbour authority status and banned any one using their pier, mooring buoys and any anchoring in their bay they lifted the restrictions later in the season
I appreciate they are NT S and not truly the community , and covid gave silly times for all
I just fear as in certain cases including community buyouts of land that their can suddenly be localism . Again my aspie suddenly jumps up and shouts unfair and I get into a tizzy
I do not ever thing oban will do this I am just a paranoid concerned citizen
Thanks Q for the clarification