• REMINDER - COVID-19

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as YBW, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health and liberty is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Users who are found to promulgate FAKE NEWS on the forum in regard to this issue, intentional or otherwise, may find their access terminated. It is your responsibility to provide references to bona fide sources.

FAKE NEWS, in this regard, is that which is posited by organisations, media, etc., that is repeated on the forum, or used to support personal opinion/hypothesis posted by users - FAKE NEWS is not necessarily the personal opinion/hypothesis being posted in itself, any issues with such should be challenged respectfully.

O-ring for MD2030C sea-water pump

WalshamUK

I have purchased, and intend to fit, a new sea-water pump for my Volvo Penta 2030C engine. The pump requires an O-ring which is Volvo part number 3580380. It looks likely that the O-ring that has been supplied is the wrong size. Does anybody know what the dimensions of a 3580380 O-ring should be? Or failing that, if anybody has a 3580380 O-ring lying around, could they please measure its dimensions please and let me know what they are. Thanks in advance. Keith Jackson

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
I came across the same problem. The VP o ring isn‘t an exact fit, it’s a bit loose and you have to take care to avoid pinching it when you refit the pump. I got annoyed paying VP prices so measured the old one and bought just smaller, same size and just bigger from here O Rings & O Ring Kits: O Ring Cords, Adhesives, Lubricants & Gauges
I bought, 3mm section, 70mm diameter; 3mm section, 68mm diameter and 3mm section; 65mm diameter nitrile o rings. IIRC the 68mm ones did the job nicely.

WalshamUK

I came across the same problem. The VP o ring isn‘t an exact fit, it’s a bit loose and you have to take care to avoid pinching it when you refit the pump. I got annoyed paying VP prices so measured the old one and bought just smaller, same size and just bigger from here O Rings & O Ring Kits: O Ring Cords, Adhesives, Lubricants & Gauges
I bought, 3mm section, 70mm diameter; 3mm section, 68mm diameter and 3mm section; 65mm diameter nitrile o rings. IIRC the 68mm ones did the job nicely.
That is really useful information. Many thanks. The O-ring that came with my replacement seawater pump (original Volvo Penta pump from Keypart), and another 3580380 O-ring bought from the Volvo Penta dealer in La Rochelle, are both 3mm X-section, and 75mm diameter. And they both look too large diameter for the job. In fact they are larger than all of the 3 sizes that you quoted. Why would Volvo Penta supply oversize O-rings?

WalshamUK

Is it possible to measure the groove?
I would love to measure the groove, but I don't want to start the job with what are very probably wrong parts. Does anybody have photos and/or dimensions of the inside of the housing that the seawater pump goes into? Especially photos/dimensions of the O-ring groove?

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
The problem is that there isn’t a groove. Although the seal is an o ring, it isn’t being used in the normal way an o ring is: ie, a groove cut in the item which the ring seats in. The pump has a plain surface which mates with a flat surface on the engine, hence the ease of nipping the o ring when reassembling the pump. Also why the discussion on the best size of the o ring. The 70mm ring is the “correct“ size but is large enough to slip easily during assembly, hence my use of the smaller one which retained its position better.
Incidentally, when I nipped the o ring, I was in a remote location and could not get a replacement. Instead I made a paper gasket from several thicknesses of cartridge paper, liberally smeared with gasket gloop. Worked well enough to get me back to civilisation and a VP dealer.