Nowadays anyone can become a yachtsman.....

dulls

N/A
Visit site
This should bring back a few memories then...
I remember going with my Dad to help a yacht stuck under the Bridge. I think he had lost his engine and been swept on to it on a flood tide. It was a small yacht and cant remember the make though it will come to me. The main thing is that i always remember him. He was called Mr Melson to us boys and had lost both legs in a mine sweeper in WW2. He had those gentle qualities that so many had from that era. Quiet, softly spoken, no swearing and an absolute English gentleman and as tough as old nails. Had a great set of tin legs which he tied to the transom when not in use. anyone else remember him? I think i have some old family film with his yacht sailing in company with our Westerly windrush with 5 on board. We packed them in then.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Here’s an odd thing: Thomas Brassey was elected to the RYS in 1859, when he, the eldest son of Thomas Brassey the immensely rich railway contractor, was 23. His Papa was most certainly “in trade”, but a 23 year old who had a 120 ton yacht built for him was perhaps “a gentleman”.

Poignard

Visit site
Here’s an odd thing: Thomas Brassey was elected to the RYS in 1859, when he, the eldest son of Thomas Brassey the immensely rich railway contractor, was 23. His Papa was most certainly “in trade”, but a 23 year old who had a 120 ton yacht built for him was perhaps “a gentleman”.
The difference between money earned and money inherited. ;)

Resolution

Visit site
Quite fascinating. I had never heard of Thomas Brassey (senior) but will now set out to read more about his extraordinary career.
Regards the gentrification of TB jnr. , I see that he was educated at Rugby school. This would have provided just the polish that would be expected at RYS.