Notices to Mariners - Week 41

tillergirl

Visit site
UKHO Permanent/Temporary/Preliminary

1. ADMIRALTY CHARTS TO BE PUBLISHED 28 OCTOBER 2021 - LEISURE FOLIOS – NOTICE OF CHANGE

From the 28th October 2021, Leisure folios will be withdrawn in the current folio format and their replacements will be announced over the following 6 weeks as Small Craft Charts. Between Weeks 43/21 and 48/21, the new Small Craft Charts will be released in batches of around 60 to 90 charts and will result in the current folios being withdrawn for the market. From Week 4, folios will no longer be available to buy, and all new Small Craft Sheets will be available to order via the POD service. Our Website will be updated to reflect this change and contain all additional information.
SC5614 - Edition 1 - England - East Coast, Orford Ness to Whitby to be issued from 28th October.
2. FRANCE - North Coast - NM Blocks. Nature reserve. Legend. Marine Reserve. -
A new marine reserve on the rocky shore under Cap Blanc Nez (west of Calais).
3. ENGLAND - East Coast - Buoy. -
This is a new yellow special buoy midway between the Sunken Buxey and West Swallowtail buoys. This had been reported vide the local Crouch Harbour Authority Notice no 32/2021 marking the experimental wind turbine monopole.
4. ENGLAND - South East Coast - Depths. - Three reductions of depths around the Goodwins: two at the tail of the SW Goodwins and one east of the West Goodwins.
5. ENGLAND - East Coast - Light-vessel. Buoy. Superbuoy. Fog signal. - The Sunk Centre light ship is replaced by a safe water buoy with changed light characteristics.
6. ENGLAND - East Coast - Buoyage. - This notice confirms the earlier Trinity House Notice (No 14 of 2021) in which the South Corton and NE Holm buoys were moved (substantially).

Local

1. ST. CLEMENT’S REACH - STONENESS LIGHTHOUSE REPLACEMENT -
On or about 29th September 2021, works will commence to replace the Stoneness Lighthouse structure. The works will be undertaken using the Jack-up barge HAVEN SEASEVEN, with safety boats RONA D and HOLTON on site. The works are expected to be completed by 15th October. The light is expected to be inoperable for 7 days from 02nd October. Disruption will be minimised as far as possible, though timing and duration are subject to change. Further updates will be given by London VTS on Channel 68. The chartlet shows the location of the works can be seen in the local list on the usual page: Notices to Mariners
2. Geophysical and environmental site investigation - Bet Walton to the Greater Gabbard and Galloper widfarms - a long notice involving 3 separate projects involving substantial survey kit requiring lots of space - see the notice in detail on the usual web page in the Local List - Precis is "Five Estuaries Offshore Wind Farm Limited has contracted Fugro GB Marine Limited (Fugro) to carry out a geophysical and environmental site investigation in the North Sea for the proposed Five Estuaries Offshore Wind Farm (FEOW) site. The Five Estuaries Offshore Wind Farm site is located to the east of Felixstowe and bordering the Greater Gabbard and Galloper exist ing wind farms. Geophysical operations are expected to continue in th is area up to the end of November 2021. It is requested that anybody having knowledge of any potential objects submerged or moored on the seabed within the works area that cau/d be damaged by, or form a hazard to, the vessel and its equipment advises the Project's Fishing Liaison Officer of their position and nature. The Project has also requested the clearance of static fishing gear within the boundary shown in the Figure in this Notice . (I wonder if those who lay pots off the Naze, Medusa, Cork Sands will be aware!).
3. PORT OF GREAT YARMOUTH - South Corton Buoy - Off Station - the South Corton buoy is currently off station. The S. Corton buoy should be in position 52° 33.370’N 001° 48.410’E (the new position) The General Lighthouse Authority will rectify at the earliest opportunity.
4. Lowestoft Southern Approaches – Dive Operations ESE of Newcombe Sand Buoy/close to entrance to Stanford Channel - UXO Dive activities are scheduled to take place along a subsea pipeline route Eastwards from Pakefield. There are 9 dive positions between approx. 0.25’ and 0.75’ ESE from Newcombe Sand Buoy. This is close to the Southern entrance to the Stanford Channel. Works are expected to commence on or soon after the 30th September for a duration of works approximately 1 week (subject to weather delays. Full details of locations and the chartlet is on the local list on the usual page.

And that is that.

(no dredging at Wells again!) Whoops, I nearly missed:

Havengore Bridge: Provisional closure: Friday 15 & Saturday 16 October 2021 - QinetiQ has provisionally planned late working at MOD Shoeburyness on Friday 15 October and weekend working on Saturday 16 October. If confirmed, Havengore Bridge will be closed to marine traffic while the Range is active (red flags flying). We (QinetiQ) apologise for any inconvenience and will send an update when the closure has been confirmed.

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
UKHO Permanent/Temporary/Preliminary

1. ADMIRALTY CHARTS TO BE PUBLISHED 28 OCTOBER 2021 - LEISURE FOLIOS – NOTICE OF CHANGE

From the 28th October 2021, Leisure folios will be withdrawn in the current folio format and their replacements will be announced over the following 6 weeks as Small Craft Charts. Between Weeks 43/21 and 48/21, the new Small Craft Charts will be released in batches of around 60 to 90 charts and will result in the current folios being withdrawn for the market. From Week 4, folios will no longer be available to buy, and all new Small Craft Sheets will be available to order via the POD service. Our Website will be updated to reflect this change and contain all additional information.

Thanks as always Roger.

Is it me or does this pretty much kill the option of pooping into the chandlers for a chart?

tillergirl

Visit site
Umm, I'm not sure - except it might be that chandler might or might not have them. Gosh 3 'mights' in one sentence. Bad English.

I am not sure what sort of format will be. In the past it has just been a series of folios while Imray used firsts to come in a plastic folder now changed to a spiral bound set of folios. All full Admiralty charts are printed on demand. So if you order one from Imray it is printed that day, up to date, by Imray digital printing stuff. So I wonder if the new series of Admiralty Leisure Folios are also now printed on demand - up to date. If so I guess local chandleries won't have those - but then I don't ever recall seeing Admiralty Leisure Folios in a Chandlery. I always buy from Imray direct.

I might will ask because I want to ask when the next edition of the Chart 1975 (Thames Estuary - Northern Part) is planned. I know that a new edition of the full Admiralty Blackwater and Colne chart is currently being planned at the moment.

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
Umm, I'm not sure - except it might be that chandler might or might not have them. Gosh 3 'mights' in one sentence. Bad English.

I am not sure what sort of format will be. In the past it has just been a series of folios while Imray used firsts to come in a plastic folder now changed to a spiral bound set of folios. All full Admiralty charts are printed on demand. So if you order one from Imray it is printed that day, up to date, by Imray digital printing stuff. So I wonder if the new series of Admiralty Leisure Folios are also now printed on demand - up to date. If so I guess local chandleries won't have those - but then I don't ever recall seeing Admiralty Leisure Folios in a Chandlery. I always buy from Imray direct.

I might will ask because I want to ask when the next edition of the Chart 1975 (Thames Estuary - Northern Part) is planned. I know that a new edition of the full Admiralty Blackwater and Colne chart is currently being planned at the moment.

I'm pretty sure Foxes have Leisure Folios in stock, along with various Imray charts.
I also know that quite a few East Coast chandlers ran out of Imray C1 this summer :oops:

tillergirl

Visit site
Imray did have a flood back in the early part of the year so perhaps they got a bit behind. And I think this year there was a surge of interest in the East Coast. I am out of stock as well.

tillergirl

Visit site
Sorry! I read my own thread again ☹ Doh!

'POD' = Print on delivery so we will have to order from the Admiralty or, I believe, from Imray. Imray do print on demand. A chandler would need to order on demand but of course they could print off some in anticipation. I have asked how the sheets arrive - such as in a protective plastic 'envelop', what the delay would be updating a sheet i.e. is a NtM change instantaneous such as with a full Admiralty chart and is it possible to buy one sheet of the series i.e when you have the series but only one sheet has a substantial change, can we only buy the relevant sheet.

I'll let you know what they say.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I was embedded in a mapping unit for 21 years, and was involved in map production before that.

Print on demand is pretty much the only strategy that is economic for low volume maps. Even using the wildly uneconomic setup up we had ( a large format 60" roll-fed inkjet plotter), we reckoned that anything less than about 100-200 copies of a large (A0 or bigger) map was cheaper to print in-house than to have printed, even taking into account the need for hand-trimming and folding. Given printing facilities more closely tailored to the requirements of printing charts (sheet fed, 36" or maybe 48"), and without needing them to be folded, I'd imagine that the break-even point would move above 500 copies. It is also worth noting that a commercial press is geared up for print runs in the thousands, if not tens of thousands. We used to joke that to do our runs of 500 or a thousand copies, they had to breathe very gently on the "GO" button! We invariably ended up with more maps actually printed than we ordered. And setting up would take far longer than actually printing the maps.

As others have noted, POD has advantages in that corrections can be incorporated up to the date of printing - though this is not something that should be taken for granted; updating a map database is a non-trivial task, with the QA often taking far longer than the actual changes. It is likely that the database would be versioned, so you would get the latest version, which might not incorporate the very latest corrections.

Large scale OS maps have been POD for many years - even in the 1980s, 6" maps were POD; Heffers in Cambridge had a system to do that.

It would not be beyond reason for larger chandlers to offer a POD service; the investment is not that great; perhaps comparable to the cost of a reasonable stock of charts. A suitable printer would be maybe £5,000 - £10,000, consumables (per chart) would be £2-£3, and of course, you'd need a PC or laptop to download the latest version from Imray or UKHO.