Notices to Mariners - Week 2

tillergirl

Visit site
UKHO Permanent/Preliminary or Temporary Notices

1. ENGLAND - East Coast - Depths. -
One reduction of depth on the Bawd Head of the Bawdsey Bank. The image includes other reductions of depths reported vide NtM 5371 and 5777 and a section of the new Wind Farm power cable reported vide no 6187(P), all last year.
2. ENGLAND - East Coast - Depths.- Four revised depths adjacent to the Sunk Inner Lightship. At all over 15m unlikely to hinder leisure craft. The Image also includes revised similar depths in the area reported in NtM 941/2020.

Full details and images can be found on: Notices to Mariners
I have added a Download link to the Notice No 8 'Sailing your pleasure craft to and from the UK.

Local

Few have updated so far this year.... or perhaps more accurately only Kings Lynn Conservancy Board haave so far brought forward all standing Notices:

1. Approaches to King's Lynn. - Damage to Navigational marks. -
The attention of Mariners is drawn to the Merchant shipping Act 1995 section 219 which states that:-
1) A Person who without lawful authority,
a) Intentionally or recklessly damages - (i) Any lighthouse or the lights exhibited in it, or (ii) Any lightship, buoy or beacon;
b) Removes, casts adrift, or sinks any lightship, buoy or beacon; or
c) conceals or obscures any lighthouse, buoy or beacon;
Commits an offence.
2) A person who, without reasonable excuse, - a) rides by, b) makes fast to, or c) runs foul of, any lightship, buoy or beacon
Commits an offence.
3) A person who is guilty of an offence under this section, shall, in addition to being liable for the expense of making good any damage, will also be liable, on summary conviction, to a fine.
2. Approaches to King's Lynn. - Narrow channels – Rule 9 - International Regulations for preventing collisions at sea. - VHF Reporting. - Mariners are advised that commercial vessels to and from King’s Lynn may be encountered on either side of the approach channel, keeping to the best of the water. Mariners are reminded that Under Rule 9 of the International Regulations for preventing collisions at sea section (b) “A vessel of less than 20 metres in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway”.
All vessels in the approaches to King’s Lynn must maintain a listening watch on V.H.F. channel 14. Information on the commercial traffic movements can be obtained from “King’s Lynn Harbour Radio” “King’s Lynn Pilots” or “King’s Lynn Docks” on Ch 14.
Masters are requested to report their movements on VHF channel 14 to “King’s Lynn Pilots” on departure from their Berths at King’s Lynn, or on entry when passing No.3 Lightbuoy, passing West Stones Beacon, and passing the Pylons.
“King’s Lynn Docks” on VHF ch14 must be contacted when departing berths in the Harbour or inward passing the Pylons to check it is clear to pass the Dock entrance. Commercial vessels can be encountered swinging off the Dock entrance or entering the river from about 1 hour to high water to half an hour after high water.

That is it.

tillergirl

Visit site
Did you mean the first local? If so I think Kings Lynn rattle the cage at the start of each year just repeating the warning. We usually get the same from Peel Port at Medway warning about the PNG terminal etc.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Did you mean the first local? If so I think Kings Lynn rattle the cage at the start of each year just repeating the warning. We usually get the same from Peel Port at Medway warning about the PNG terminal etc.
Sorry - yes, I did mean first local. If it's just cage rattling, it seems a bit unecessary - no-one likely to read an NTM would dream of messing with a navigation mark! I assumed there had been some incident that prompted it.

tillergirl

Visit site
No worries. It is an annual repeat I think but maybe in the past some event occur - such as a PWC mooring up. Actually last year - or was it the year before, Ipswich issued a 'please don't climb on our buoys' notice. And there had a few beacons damaged during the past year. Could be old age of course but maybe.....