Not in the RYA Syllabus

zoidberg

Visit site
This pic from the Force 4 offers reminds me of a decades-old wheeze that few, if any, 'zero to hero' types seem to have learned....

50178149076_ef4648abeb_z.jpg

The original idea used the washing-up bowl that lived in the sink to get teas/coffees/soup in mugs up into the cockpit on a wild night. Sometimes the bilge bucket with a handle was a better bet.

TernVI

Visit site
There was a tall tale from a certain Solent instructor years back.
He asked a student to 'make the tea in the washing up bowl' to avoid it getting spilt.
Student literally made a bowl of tea.

We have a plywood tray with a frame which holds the mugs.
Unlike those plastic things, the tray catches anything that is spilt, unless a nameless person drops the whole thing....

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
This pic from the Force 4 offers reminds me of a decades-old wheeze that few, if any, 'zero to hero' types seem to have learned....

The original idea used the washing-up bowl that lived in the sink to get teas/coffees/soup in mugs up into the cockpit on a wild night. Sometimes the bilge bucket with a handle was a better bet.
We have a Muggi, even though it's only really needed in hurricane conditions. :giggle:

However, ours cannot pull off this non-slip feat. :(

Richard

D

Deleted member 36384

Bizarre linking criticism of fast tracking to cup holders.

I have one of the holders as pictured. It works well, excellent shape and the ergonomics is perfect for picking up and gripping the tray, while holding onto the boat with one hand. Fingers and thumb just engage effortlessly and securely on recessed areas in the right position. The balance and security means that the tea does not spill. If it does spill, it flows into the cup holder.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
We use Alladin mugs, they came with a lid and are insulated but their shape is proper - wide at the bottom, narrow at the top.

We eat in the pilothouse while the galley is below, down 3 shallow steps. To safely carry food and drink upstairs we though of a washing up bowl but then decided upon a cat litter tray. Far better size and shape.

For those who have had hospitality aboard, or might recieve some in the future, it is a new and unused by a cat one, honest...................................

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I made up this rack for both carrying hot drinks. It also will attach to the front of my steering grab rail

The mug shown is an insulated mug to keep the drink either hot of cold.

36086065585_39eb49654e_c.jpg

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Bizarre linking criticism of fast tracking to cup holders.

I have one of the holders as pictured. It works well, excellent shape and the ergonomics is perfect for picking up and gripping the tray, while holding onto the boat with one hand. Fingers and thumb just engage effortlessly and securely on recessed areas in the right position. The balance and security means that the tea does not spill. If it does spill, it flows into the cup holder.
There was no mention of fast tracking in that post, just a mention of a student and an instructor.

sgr143

Visit site
This pic from the Force 4 ...
As illustrated, all the mugs and cups are so full that using the plastic doodad looks like an excellent methodology for slopping half the contents of four drinks over the deck at once , rather than the traditional "one at a time" approach. Apart from the beers of course. Are they trying to tell us something?

blush2

Visit site

Got 2of them. The first which lives on the boat was a present from - wait for it - a Yachtmaster instructor/examiner. Sits comfortably on the companionway step and catches all the spills. Tacks better than the bowl but that is better for pouring into the mugs when well heeled.

Rest of the time it sits in the galley with a couple of mugs, spoons and a glass. The fourth section has things like a timer, small torch and other catering bits and bobs.

I have a second one ashore which was a secret Santa, I found that if you have builders around and give them cuppas in it, all the empty mugs are put back in it ready for the next time ?