Norwich Peregrines

johnalison

Visit site
View attachment 115799

Probably a Sparrow Hawk but still hadn't left much of the pigeon which was still struggling when I ran to fetch my camera. Right outside the study window, last year.

Peter.
Sparrowhawk, with the yellow ring round the eye. I put a video of one dispatching a pigeon on YouTube a few years ago. If you look hard you might find it - among dozens of the same!

RivalRedwing

Visit site

Habebty

Visit site
There seems to be established networks of watchers and friends in most of these locations. If this is normal then survival rates in the wild must be relatively low.
The pigeon population in Norwich is taking a hammering with many seeming to have a ringed foot - racing pigeons?
Yes, I spotted the rings, I wonder if they are collected and sent back to the pigeon clubs or whatever? Could do with some peregrines round my bit of Norfolk to help manage the flying rat population in our back garden!

TLouth7

Visit site
There seems to be established networks of watchers and friends in most of these locations. If this is normal then survival rates in the wild must be relatively low.
I don't know if it counts as wild given that the disappearances of males are almost certainly the result of persecution but Hen Harriers on the RSPB's Geltsdale reserve have only had 1 successful nest in the last 15 years. Typically there are one or two nests each year so not good odds.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
The pigeon population in Norwich is taking a hammering with many seeming to have a ringed foot - racing pigeons?
I think that in the wild, their parents would continue to feed them while they were in the vicinity of the nest until they could fly. Not an option in an urban setting, especially where they were, which is a busy junction! But of course, the survival rate of any wild bird is pretty low - if it wasn't, we'd be up to our knees in ducks! But on average, only 2 chicks per female need to survive to breed to maintain a population - and most birds produce at least 2 per year, often more.

Dee Bee

Visit site
They hang about being fed on the wing for a while. A couple of years an open air performance of Midsummer's Night Dream was accompanied by raucous calls as the young harried their mother to give them food. The audience spent most of the evening looking at the aerobatics not the play. The actors sportingly applauded the birds!

Other threads that may be of interest