Norwich Peregrines

Habebty

Visit site
About 2 years ago I saw one of them grab a pigeon in mid air at full pelt then rip the poor thing to shreds on the pavement outside my office. Don't see that every day! The nest box is usually a macabre tray of bones towards the end of the season.

johnalison

Visit site
The last peregrines I saw were on top of Bradwell power station, about three years ago. There appeared to be a box put there for their use.

Dee Bee

Visit site
We had one of the cathedral peregrines - or so I guess given we live in central Norwich - sitting on the fence outside our kitchen window a couple of weeks ago. And a neighbour found one eating a pigeon outside his back door!

Leighb

Visit site
They will be welcome in my garden. As will any predator with a taste for grey squirrels, rabbits and to cap it all Muntjac deer!
I am afraid they would not be much help to you, their main prey is pigeon. Not much that could tackle a Muntjac though!!

Marmalade

Visit site
Think one of the chicks has died - is lying lifeless in the nest - whether killed by a predator or simply the weak one of the clutch ??

DoubleEnder

Visit site
I used to work in Paternoster Square in central London., right next to St Paul's Cathedral.The estate managers brought in falconers every few days to fly a pair of Harris hawks around the square, early in the morning, to discourage pigeons. One morning I was in early, and stopped to watch the two falconers, have a bit of a natter before going in to the office. A peregrine dropped like a bomb, pulled up at what seemed like head height- it was really shifting, I heard the wind hum as it passed over us, scared the beejaysus out of the poor old Harris hawks, the falconers and me, making that little cry. Amazing, like something out of the Middle Ages.

A pair of peregrines were nesting on the Cathedral, apparently. Magnificent

Other threads that may be of interest