Non lucrative Visa Spain (or France) for marina “residence”?

Goodroaming

Visit site
Have a look at these people - H2O | Mooring prices
If not Lyon - Sete but they are probably too far south for you
I think we might be looking anywhere in France that would take us ??‍♀️that has decent facilities. Somewhere in the 14-16m range
Marseille Vieux Port for the young, Menton for Gods waiting room., Antibes for fake fur and no knickers.
So not much then?! ;) Marseille is an interesting option but concerned about crime and noise..? ….Antibes…maybe, although it seems a little OTT for our cdn sensibilities. Not a great sell for Menton, lol, although we do like the quiet and it seems?like a cute town.

Last edited:

Poignard

Visit site
Thanks! Looks like a nice little town. How would it fair in the winter and how are the facilities?
The basin at Vannes Redon is completely sheltered.

It is a very attractive town a very unnatractive town. There are good rail and bus communications, all kinds of shops, supermarkets, markets, loads of several restaurants, hotels, medical facilities, places of cultural interest, pleasant tolerable walks, ferries to islands in the Golfe du Morbihan and to outlying islands, a no laundry at the capitainerie, a no chandleries, boatyards, etc.

BUT the showers are overdue for a refurbishment, if you are fussy about such things.

Last edited:

Goodroaming

Visit site
On a serious note, it's not all the land of eternal warmth. You will be fighting mould, condensation, and it gets effing cold.
Sounds like our home anyways. ? We would be looking at a boat with heating and we are flexible so if its not working out, we can sort it out. Just up for some new adventures. Maybe South of France Marinas would be better options for the winter but we wanted to start on the canals - if possible.

Goodroaming

Visit site
When we started this, I had no idea how challenging it was going to be to action!!! Liveaboard slow travelling in a boat through France (with forays into Netherlands and Germany and eventually coastal cruising) is apparently not what many people do! Or at least, the system does not seem set up to accommodate.

Goodroaming

Visit site
I like Lyon quite a bit but there doesnt look to be that many berths…..
The basin at Vannes is completely sheltered.

Itis a very attractive town. There are good rail and bus communications, all kinds of shops, supermarkets, markets, loads of restaurants, hotels, medical facilities, places of cultural interest, pleasant walks, ferries to islands in the Golfe du Morbihan and to outlying islands, a laundry at the capitainerie, a chandleries, boatyards, etc.

BUT the showers are overdue for a refurbishment, if you are fussy about such things.
Vannes doesnt seem connected to any canals which would make it challenging I think for our first goals but I’ll add it to our list of coastal sites 4 sure. Thanks!!

Poignard

Visit site
When we started this, I had no idea how challenging it was going to be to action!!! Liveaboard slow travelling in a boat through France (with forays into Netherlands and Germany and eventually coastal cruising) is apparently not what many people do! Or at least, the system does not seem set up to accommodate.
Not long ago a member of the Cruising Association gave an interesting talk about his cruising on the inland waterways of Europe. If you become a member you might be able to see it.

As for it being "not what many people do!" commercial barges used to do it in large numbers, and probably still do.

Maybe this isn't the best forum for getting advice because it tends to be more concerned with cruising yachts rather than inland waterways cruising.

Poignard

Visit site
Vannes doesnt seem connected to any canals which would make it challenging I think for our first goals but I’ll add it to our list of coastal sites 4 sure. Thanks!!
I'm very sorry but I meant Redon, not Vannes! (Vannes has been on my mind because we are thinking of getting a flat there.)

Redon is not nearly as nice a place as Vannes but it might provide what you want. Anyway, it is Redon's showers that are not very good; those in Vannes are excellent!

The crossroads of the rivers and canals of the West

(I have edited post #64 :D)

Last edited:

Goodroaming

Visit site
Not long ago a member of the Cruising Association gave an interesting talk about his cruising on the inland waterways of Europe. If you become a member you might be able to see it.

As for it being "not what many people do!" commercial barges used to do it in large numbers, and probably still do.

Maybe this isn't the best forum for getting advice because it tends to be more concerned with cruising yachts rather than inland waterways cruising.
Fair enough. We are going to join the DBA (which is searchable from google). But their posts are mostly UK inland- at least from our searchs so far and the French waterways thread seems a bit emancipated -prob bc of Covid and Brexit) We have been going back and forth between canal/coastal bc if we dont get a French visa we most certainly will try Spain (warmer) and then the Uk (close to France and Netherlands) which would mean starting coastal- not our preference.

Goodroaming

Visit site
I'm very sorry but I meant Redon, not Vannes! (Vannes has been on my mind because we are thinking of getting a flat there.)

Redon is not nearly as nice a place as Vannes but it might provide what you want. Anyway, it is Redon's showers that are not very good; those in Vannes are excellent!

The crossroads of the rivers and canals of the West

(I have edited post #64 :D)
Ya, I get how Redon seems not quite as nice.

I just found this (a little dated) for those liveaboards interested in Redon….