No show

Angele

Visit site
Things not looking good for Angele's attendance.

Last night, motored to Newtown so that we had at least begun the journey and dropped the hook outside the entrance.

Woke up with the alarm an hour ago to discover we are in fog. Probably quite localised, and I can still see the stars so probably the sort that will burn off within a hour or two of sunrise.

However, went to boot up radar, and the system cannot locate it. So, no way I was going to set off when I intended (which was 30 mins ago) in fog and without radar.

Will see how things look around dawn, but by then I will be leaving it too late to make the dinner in Cherbourg.

Grrrrr! :(

I'll post again later with an update.

Angele

Visit site
Update

It was still foggy at dawn - actually thicker than before and chartplotter still couldn't find radar.

Now, at 09:30, it has all burned off and it has the makings of a lovely sunny day. Too late to make it to Cherbourg for the dinner, so we are going to stay over this side of the Channel.

I'm gutted. Hope you guys have a great time and hope to see you next year. (I'll get the radar fixed before then!)

fireball

Visit site
I know it's too late - but you did try with the engine on didn't you?

It was batteries when we had a similar problem

Angele

Visit site
Good suggestion.

It should work with the engine on or off. But, yes, I did turn the engine on to see if it made any difference. It didn't. (Public apology to everyone who was anchored outside Newtown and had their sleep broken by that idiot running his engine at 4am).

Bizarrely, the radar sprung back into life mid morning while we were sailing (well drifting) with the engine off. I think Angele thought it was time I spent some time on her in the Solent!

Angele

Visit site
MoodyNick

Thanks for your sympathy. It was a damn nuisance, and the problem has been recurring on and off all weekend. So, going to get the wiring looked at carefully as I suspect there is a connection issue somewhere.

It was a good idea to come back yesterday. The weather in the Solent today has been pants. Rain coming and going all the time, and the wind picked up to F6 after midday.

Hope to see you next year. I'll try to make more of a trip of it next time by heading out on the Friday. That way I have a bit of a contingency if something adverse happens.