NMEA0183 GPS Position and Time From Navman 5600

• Thread starter Deleted member 36384
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 36384

Plotter returned and verified as working. When I connect the NMEA out + from the plotter to the VHF I get a morse code style signal from the VHF speaker, low volume but loud enough to hear with a background hiss. When I swap the wires the other way round, no data and no Morse, and when disconnected nothing as well. I wonder if it is the VHF?

I then connected to the ST60 Multi Display, NMEA In and Out, used good WAGO connectors and crimped mini spades and I get the data repeated: LAT, LONG, Speed, then nothing.

On the panel, I have a DIN rail with the connector types that have a spring lever that is pushed with a screwdriver to unlock the wire. I removed the NMEA jumper to the VHF and one of the wires pulled out the gray sleeve, about 1/2 the overall length, it must have been damaged inside.

Wired a new jumper to the ST60 and the Navtex all the data is present as expected. Tried the VHF but nothing, the Morse signal back again. Then tried NMEA Out from the ST60 to the VHF, no positional data displayed but no Morse signal, checked the voltages at the ST60, none, so maybe the ST60 Multi only transmits NMEA out if it comes through the Raymarine cable.

I think the issue is with the VHF so I will buy a new one with built in GPS and leave the plotter upgrade until later.

Thanks everyone for the help, appreciated, a great learning experience for me.

BlowingOldBoots

D

Deleted member 36384

Stupid is, as stupid does!

The manual for the VHF has a pin diagram for the socket that identifies what pin does what. Of course, obvious now, that it is a diagram of the socket on the back of the VHF and not the plug. I was working on the wrong pins.

The morse signal coming out the VHF was the NMEA signal feeding into the speaker connections: white wire and bare wire, both in a black flex.

The plug has a red and a white jack, the red being the NMEA in, centre is +ve, -ve is the stainless collar around the pin.

VHF now works as expected, reading position and the wrong date from the plotter.

I had this epiphany when looking at my new SH VHF Manual and noticed that the speaker cable was identical to the cables I was using for the ICOM VHF NMEA feed. What is disappointing, apart from my stupidity, is that two on-site boat electricians have looked at this. The last one added the WAGO connectors and thought he had a solution and would get back to me.

I could now buy a GPA receiver that transmits NMEA and get the VHF working with correct date. The advantage being that it fits in the existing hole and does not require a new command mike cable run. Or sell it.

Instead I will likely fit my new SH as I made a teak letter box to cover the old hole, plus it has some cool features like MOB function and the NMEA 2000.

That’s the issue resolved and thread updated for anyone else as dumb as me.

All the best, BlowingOldBoots