Nicholson 303 as fast cruiser?

nuvaslacker

Visit site
I originally posted this query on the YM forum without answer. I then thought that some of your more mature contributors may be more likely to be able to respond.

Anyone had experience of the Nicholson 303? The kind of questions I would like to answer include:

1. Are they tender? Do they need a row of crew on the weather rail, or can they stand up to a reasonable area of canvas in a cruising context?

2. How cranky are they on the helm? The well known IOR distortions are present (though they seem to have a substantial bustle under the stern).

3. They won't have the offwind speed of a modern, wide aft hull, but I assume should be quite rapid sailers (Ron Holland design, after all)?

4. Has anyone access to a stability curve? They are based on the Nicholson 30 racer, which had a very poor vanishing stability point (Fastnet 79), but with a much larger coach roof (this should alter the curve beyond 100deg).

I am interested in hearing from those who have experienced this model or similar vessels; many of the excellent contributors to this forum will consider even stepping on such a boat to be utter madness, but, as they say, de gustibus non disputandum est.

I realise this is a vintage type of boat, and of little interest to the majority of racing people.

nuvaslacker

Visit site
As in Victorian lady's dress, a bulge under the pinched stern; I only observed from a photo, so I could be mistaken.

Just to make it completely clear, I have never pinched a Victorian lady's stern, above or below the bustle, and I would not recommend the procedure.

Tranona

Visit site
Sorry, what does "bustle" mean in this context ?

Boo2

It was a device to cheat the rating - cunningly placed just where the aft girth measurement was made. Quite popular for a while and a good example of the distortions of the IOR rule.

Javelin

www.Southwoldboatyard.co.uk
Was built as a cruiser racer - based on the half tonner that won everything in the late 70's
So yes it is a fast cruiser for her length.
Upwind they are great and no you don't need crew on the rail you might have to reduce sail a little earlier.
They are very well balanced upwind and will have next to no weather helm when correctly trimmed.
Downwind with a quartering sea things get a little more interesting, don't expect your ST2000 tiller pilot to cope above 18 knots.
Otherwise a lot of boat for the very reasonable money they fetch these days.

Pay a bit more and get a 3/4 tonner based boat for more speed, headroom, comfort.
Aim for a boat 1983 onwards as the knee-jerk after the Fastnet disaster really kicked in with boats being a lot stiffer and safer in big seas.

Last edited:

ilduc944

Visit site
I sailed one of these out of Brighton for about 5 years. A friends boat that he didn't have time to sail. They're light weight cruiser racers which go best in lighter airs. Anything over F5 with a bumpy sea will have her stopped in her tracks. Given smooth conditions she really picks up and goes very well indeed. Not too twitchy if trimmed correctly but reef her early, especially if you've got some wind over tide or similar chop. As mentioned by someone else, downwind can be interesting and exciting and best steered by hand not autohelm - knowing and feeling for the boats reactions and predicting them is key or you'll end up going in circles, or at least large s shape course.

We spent weeks at a time on her around the south coast, Solent and across the channel, which is quite comfortable in the right conditions. We enjoyed her for the time we were involved but would go for something a little heavier and more modern now, but that's mainly because we know what we want better than we did then. That's not to criticise the boat, it's just personal preferences.

Overall she makes a good light to moderate wind boat and is comfortable enough to stay on for a while but probably suited to use as a day boat if you're in to your creature comforts. We wouldn't buy one but that's just our personal preference. She still holds a special place in our sailing history and we'd happily go out on one again.

Hope that helps.

Riw

Visit site
I originally posted this query on the YM forum without answer. I then thought that some of your more mature contributors may be more likely to be able to respond.

Anyone had experience of the Nicholson 303? The kind of questions I would like to answer include:

1. Are they tender? Do they need a row of crew on the weather rail, or can they stand up to a reasonable area of canvas in a cruising context?

2. How cranky are they on the helm? The well known IOR distortions are present (though they seem to have a substantial bustle under the stern).

3. They won't have the offwind speed of a modern, wide aft hull, but I assume should be quite rapid sailers (Ron Holland design, after all)?

4. Has anyone access to a stability curve? They are based on the Nicholson 30 racer, which had a very poor vanishing stability point (Fastnet 79), but with a much larger coach roof (this should alter the curve beyond 100deg).

I am interested in hearing from those who have experienced this model or similar vessels; many of the excellent contributors to this forum will consider even stepping on such a boat to be utter madness, but, as they say, de gustibus non disputandum est.

I realise this is a vintage type of boat, and of little interest to the majority of racing people.
Just found your post....I used to own one of these. Beautiful boats and great fun. Seaworthy too.

SailingDog

Visit site
A few years ago I went to view a 303 she had been in the infamous fast net, I bought a Nic 30 instead very successful round the cans and Jog racing.
Very enjoyable as a family cruiser also.
I have the design drawings I will look to see if there are details of the curve calcs.

yoda

Visit site
Pay a bit more and get a 3/4 tonner based boat for more speed, headroom, comfort.
Aim for a boat 1983 onwards as the knee-jerk after the Fastnet disaster really kicked in with boats being a lot stiffer and safer in big seas.

The NIC 345 is just this and is a solid well behaved boat that had no issues in the 79 Fastnet. It has a great aft cabin rather than quarter berth. I have found that sailing with an Asymmetric spinnaker while singlehanded gets rid of any poor downwind characteristics as you have to sail the angles. It also has a 3/4 rig which make handling the headsail that much lighter than similar size boats with a mast head rig.

Yoda