Nice Day

Mark26

Visit site
Teddingtown, was it you I saw moored on the first (downstream) island at Clievden on Monday?

As I went upstream, I considered mooring in the second larger bay in front of you[?]

I pulled in, but stopped short of jumping ashore and tieing, or tying off, when I saw it was very muddy…leaves himself open for ridicule. Alas I didn’t want to tread it all back on board, so continued to Cookham and had a wander to the shop near the station for supplies.

Mark26

Visit site
I spent two nights at Dorney.

Day one, Penton Hook to Dorney, but on the river bank close to the church.
Day two, Dorney to Cookham for a 2 hr break, then back to Dorney.
Day three, Dorney to Penton Hook. 5 locks and I didn’t see any keepers, although to be fair I had an early start and passed the first two before they start work.

I was running single handed, as I often do, as I’m retired but my wife works. I generally set off quiet early. Once up and breakfasted, I’m happy to get going. I like the early mornings and having the river and the locks to myself.

I very nearly got stuck in Old Windsor Lock. The hydraulic pump for the tail sluices was making a dreadful grumbling noise and not doing anything, then it would cut out completely. I had to leave it for a few minutes and then try again, and it would cut out again. A third attempt had the same results. I was about to call it in but thought I’d just try once more and it worked. Phew.

I did see three big hire boats heading that way and felt very sorry for them. They pay a lot of money to have a nice half-term holiday on the Thames and a faulty lock, or worse a breakdown doesn’t make for an enjoyable experience.

Last edited:

Scapegoat

Visit site
Boveney Lock 07:30 Monday 25/10/21

I’ve got some nice pics but the forum thingy refuses to accept them.
you might find it’s the image size that is the issue. Iphone usually gives the option of uploading a smaller size ( not sure about Android)

Northern Star

Visit site
Mark26 it wasn't us on Monday as we were at Windsor then.

We are at Cliveden now and pretty much the only boat here.

It is very very quiet but lots of Le Boat and Kris charter boats out and we saw six moored at Windsor.

We had problems with Old Windsor lock too but eventually it worked and we got upstream.

Heading back to Runnymeade tomoro so we shall see how it goes.