Nice Day River Deserted.

oldgit

Visit site
Two theories.
Your boat WILL sink because of OSMOSIS unless it is out of the water for 8 months of the year in order to DRY out**.
Owning a yacht is a right faff and a real " Billy no mates pastime" but claiming to own one does allow you to appear in the club bar without embarrassment.
Keeping your boat out of the water for most of year means if you are carefull, you may never actually have to go out in it.

** Nobody has appeared to have mentioned this to motorboaters.

Old Crusty

Visit site
Two theories.
Your boat WILL sink because of OSMOSIS unless it is out of the water for 8 months of the year in order to DRY out**.
Owning a yacht is a right faff and a real " Billy no mates pastime" but claiming to own one does allow you to appear in the club bar without embarrassment.
Keeping your boat out of the water for most of year means if you are carefull, you may never actually have to go out in it.

** Nobody has appeared to have mentioned this to motorboaters.

Keeping your boat our of the water saves a fortune - no registration fees, fuel costs, District Enforcement penalty mooring fees, out of date cans of beer for lock keepers ...

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I didn't know you could save registration fees. How do you do that then?

I would have thought regular lifting boat in and out of water and buying a visitor ticket each time would be expensive.

I've usually paid for a whole year registration and I don't -think- there is a refund available for November to March.

Maybe there is ?

And presumably boatyards charge something for hardstanding.

Old Crusty

Visit site
I didn't know you could save registration fees. How do you do that then?

I would have thought regular lifting boat in and out of water and buying a visitor ticket each time would be expensive.

I've usually paid for a whole year registration and I don't -think- there is a refund available for November to March.

Maybe there is ?

And presumably boatyards charge something for hardstanding.

As I was saying, you keep your boat out of EA waters, it doesn't need to be registered, ergo, you save on registration fees. The EA doesn't do refunds, ever, so no point asking.

oldgit

Visit site
Keeping yer boat out of the water also stops stuff breaking.
While giving it some welly on this trip out a weedy little bolt that holds the clamp together that secures the exhaust riser to the turbo decided to fail.
Oooo ..........did not sound like that before.
Came back on one engine and lifted the engine hatch.
After poking about bit discovered that "only" the clamp had failed, ordered a new one £20.00. Result ! nothing to expensive or hard to fix.
Simple rebolt job, only take 5 mins.
Down today to remove old bits and have a clean up ready for new clamp.

Decided to clean and repaint riser. Arrgh.
Riser totally knackered and only held togther by paint and the riser hose.
Just ordered new riser and connecting hose. £220.00. :(

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
But
As I was saying, you keep your boat out of EA waters, it doesn't need to be registered, ergo, you save on registration fees. The EA doesn't do refunds, ever, so no point asking.
Yes maybe if you lifted it out after each use or take it off EA water in another way and just buy visitor tickets when you want to use the boat it could work out.

However I would suggest that the vast majority of boats stored ashore at Thames boatyards have full year registrations on them which as you point out are not subject to refunds.