NHS - this may be of interest

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
I am resident in France and originally had an S1 which covered me for health care in France and the UK (UK pension triggers that) Because of my YouTube channel and book sales I now have a microenterprise for tax reasons in France, which triggers payments into the French Social Security system and French health cover now comes from that - I have a French NHIC card which means the French pay for emergency health treatment in the UK as well as all of the EU...

Jomac

Visit site
From the D Tel. The final paragraph may be of particular interest!

Thousands of Britons moving abroad will lose their rights to healthcare coverage when they visit the UK and must pay to use NHS services.
Anyone who has moved to the European Union after the Brexit cut-off date of Dec 31 2020 will face an “administrative nightmare” as they will be stripped of certain NHS entitlements.
About 460,000 British pensioners, the most common NHS users, already live in the EU, plus hundreds of thousands more people of working age.
But new expats could face large NHS bills when returning home if they require healthcare, as they will no longer be covered by the British state.
Those visiting the UK will be charged 150pc of the cost of NHS treatment, even if they are British nationals. The NHS operates using residence-based qualification, which means anyone living in Britain and officially a resident is covered.
Britons abroad no longer qualify. Even those still paying tax in the UK, or who own a property, do not count as “residents”, Chetal Patel, of law firm Bates Well, warned. She said: “That’s a common misconception, and people may not realise the repercussions.

Source :Britons moving to the EU lose NHS coverage post Brexit

ATB,
John G

This news really makes my blood boil! Maybe if you had to return in your boat, ditch your passport and every other means of identification and claim asylum. Its those people who seem to jump to the queue for everything!!!

Genoa

Visit site
... if you have dual citizenship (UK & 1 of EU27), surely if you are resident in the EU, then return to the UK and have an address etc, you would automatically become an ordinary citizen of the UK again, and so have NHS rights. This is only an issue for UK Citizens resident abroad visiting the UK, and not having EHIC or similar cover. Are there any circumstances where this wouldnt be the case? Or am I missing something?

ean_p

Visit site
... if you have dual citizenship (UK & 1 of EU27), surely if you are resident in the EU, then return to the UK and have an address etc, you would automatically become an ordinary citizen of the UK again, and so have NHS rights. This is only an issue for UK Citizens resident abroad visiting the UK, and not having EHIC or similar cover. Are there any circumstances where this wouldnt be the case? Or am I missing something?
If challenged on return to the UK you must be able to demonstrate a 'settled purpose' to your sojourn within the UK. Just an address etc may or may not cut it!

nortada

Visit site

ean_p

Visit site
Any actual evidence of this happening?

Provided you meet the criteria to be an ordinary resident, you shouldn’t have any problem getting free healthcare from the NHS.

Assessing ordinary residence: nationality policy guidance.

Yes it's on page 4 of the document you reference and the criteria is that of 'settled purpose'. It's the reason that I used the term IF challenged. I doubt that few ever will be but be under no illusion that if you are challenged, especially if formally resident abroad, then care may be refused if on a 'fleeting' visit.
Nationality has nothing to do with the issue, duel or otherwise. Residence is all and an individual can, with regard to the UK, be considered resident in multiple places at the same time if he/ she fulfils the required criteria. The criteria isn't that at any particular moment you happen to be in the country but that you have a 'settled purpose' in being here.

ashtead

Visit site
I have heard reports that many South Africans have the right to free NHS treatment if they have a UK adderess -don’t know if this extends to other commonwealth countries. Clearly when visiting some EU states the quality of care might not be of quality found in Uk so worth considering buying cover or being aware of what your Amex etc card might offer .

billskip

Visit site
There are many threads about this subject,all which have different titles, but all com down to the same thing whether it be driving license, bank acc,or NHS.

The government common denominator is the law as its written, the peoples common denominator is what lies they can tell to bend it to their liking.

Having an address and residing are two different things,but because one tries to kid themselves and others that they are squeaky clean and within the law they try to live with a clean conscious.

Well it's simple, and you all know it.

How many times have I read on here " use a friend,family or second home address "...

All this ducking and diving all comes down to the same thing, get caught and then try and wriggle.

PlanB

Visit site
When I moved in with my partner and registered with the GP, I was required to produce both ID and evidence of address in the form of council tax form or similar.

nortada

Visit site
I have heard reports that many South Africans have the right to free NHS treatment if they have a UK adderess -don’t know if this extends to other commonwealth countries. Clearly when visiting some EU states the quality of care might not be of quality found in Uk so worth considering buying cover or being aware of what your Amex etc card might offer .
Or use your G/EHIC. It might just be that care in many countries is better or more timely than in the UK.

nortada

Visit site
When I moved in with my partner and registered with the GP, I was required to produce both ID and evidence of address in the form of council tax form or similar.

Sounds reasonable but the people we are discussing are UK residents who have come back from abroad so should already be registered with a GP. Conversely they could visit a NHS walk-in centre.

nortada

Visit site
There are many threads about this subject,all which have different titles, but all com down to the same thing whether it be driving license, bank acc,or NHS.

The government common denominator is the law as its written, the peoples common denominator is what lies they can tell to bend it to their liking.

Having an address and residing are two different things,but because one tries to kid themselves and others that they are squeaky clean and within the law they try to live with a clean conscious.

Well it's simple, and you all know it.

How many times have I read on here " use a friend,family or second home address "...

All this ducking and diving all comes down to the same thing, get caught and then try and wriggle.

No lying involved - rather, as ordinary residents, exercising their legal rights.

Before getting too righteous, it is more than likely that they pay UK taxes, which is far from universal among NHS users.

billskip

Visit site
Sounds reasonable but the people we are discussing are UK residents who have come back from abroad so should already be registered with a GP. Conversely they could visit a NHS walk-in centre.
When you say "come back from abroad " do you mean from living abroad?

I was advised that if I moved and lived abroad I had to notify my GP and be removed from the practice...

billskip

Visit site
No lying involved - rather, as ordinary residents, exercising their legal rights.

Before getting too righteous, it is more than likely that they pay UK taxes, which is far from universal among NHS users.
I most certainly dont deserve being considered righteous,
It doesnt matter about taxes or anything else, what matters is the legal rights,and those legal rights are only if one operates legally, not trying to bend the law to suit oneself.

Example..

To legally hold a UK driving licence one is supposed to live in the UK, not just have a UK address. Also you are AFAIK supposed to forfeit your connection with your UK GP if you live abroad

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Also you are AFAIK supposed to forfeit your connection with your UK GP if you live abroad

Different rules depending on whether one is merely having an extended holiday or taking up residence elsewhere.

Attitudes vary from one GP practice to the next. Our normal prescriptions (NHS Wales) are for 3 months supply but GP will double up if we ask, regardless of guidelines. Others in different areas report they can only obtain one months supply as standard.

Our GP isn't in the least worried we spend roughly equal times at home and away but we know a couple who've been crossed off their practice list when they've been away for extended period. As far as I'm concerned, I've paid into the UK system all my life and intend to get my money's worth :)

billskip

Visit site
Different rules depending on whether one is merely having an extended holiday or taking up residence elsewhere.

Attitudes vary from one GP practice to the next. Our normal prescriptions (NHS Wales) are for 3 months supply but GP will double up if we ask, regardless of guidelines. Others in different areas report they can only obtain one months supply as standard.

Our GP isn't in the least worried we spend roughly equal times at home and away but we know a couple who've been crossed off their practice list when they've been away for extended period. As far as I'm concerned, I've paid into the UK system all my life and intend to get my money's worth :)
Yes, I'm not arguing the flexibility and common sense, the point I'm trying to make is that there are rules and laws, and as you say getting your money's worth.

To my mind if someone raises a question, the law is the law, whether I think it's an ass is another matter, however if those that want the correct information it is readily available, but not necessarily what you want to hear,so come on this (or other) forum and run the gauntlet with the answer that you prefer.

nortada

Visit site
When you say "come back from abroad " do you mean from living abroad?

I was advised that if I moved and lived abroad I had to notify my GP and be removed from the practice...

I mean what I say, ‘come back from abroad’. Their circumstances will vary dramatically so I use the only common statement.

nortada

Visit site
I most certainly dont deserve being considered righteous,
It doesnt matter about taxes or anything else, what matters is the legal rights,and those legal rights are only if one operates legally, not trying to bend the law to suit oneself.

Example..

To legally hold a UK driving licence one is supposed to live in the UK, not just have a UK address. Also you are AFAIK supposed to forfeit your connection with your UK GP if you live abroad

Nobody is calling you righteous. Equally nobody is suggesting that people are bending the law. No doubt some will but many won’t. Rather they are just exercising their legal rights.