Newtown Creek in. NNW

Hadenough

Visit site
Heading east and planning to shelter for a while at anchor in Newtown Creek. Looks to be sheltered from every direction but N. How tenable will it be for a day of NNW 18 -30 kts on Friday? TIA

Last edited:

[2068]

Visit site
Probably fine if you can find a free buoy to attach to - I'm not sure I'd want to anchor there in 30kts of wind.
The Western side will be more sheltered in those conditions.

Carib

www.sailinginlimbo.blogspot.com
It's very sheltered from the sea in all directions unless you're just south of the narrow entrance. There's no fetch - it will just be a bit breezy. Plus it's neaps so you shouldn't sheer around too much (an issue there in strong winds at springs).

mikegunn

Visit site
Heading east and planning to shelter for a while at anchor in Newtown Creek. Looks to be sheltered from every direction but N. How tenable will it be for a day of NNW 18 -30 kts on Friday? TIA
The anchorage has been extremely popular since lockdown eased and I suspect the bottom has now become the consistency of a thick soup. I’ve dragged there on occasion and reverted to a National Trust buoy. The problem is that if you do drag and it’s busy there’s no where else to go to except outside and to the west of the entrance. In a NNW? Bit bumpy.
Mike

dom

Visit site
It will be fine this w/e as it's neaps on Sat I think.

If packed, you could go back a little and anchor just inside Hurst Castle - totally settled in Northerlies. Bear Hurst in mind in any event as Newtown Creek has been heaving every w/e post lockdown. That large c.1.5m area depth area might be fine for this w/e as it will have at least 1.5m over LAT at low tide.

1600700900642.png

Attachments

• 1600700796222.png
    1600700796222.png
    428.8 KB · Views: 12

FairweatherDave

Visit site
I might be inclined to go up the Beaulieu river as an alternative. Last time we were there and it was blowy there were plenty of spaces inc the mooring bouys near the entrance. We expected it to be busy as it was a summer weekend.....I'd be surprised if Newtown was busy this weekend coming as "summer" will be over by then (but I am no Newtown local)

Reactions: DJE

burgundyben

Visit site
I might be inclined to go up the Beaulieu river as an alternative. Last time we were there and it was blowy there were plenty of spaces inc the mooring bouys near the entrance. We expected it to be busy as it was a summer weekend.....I'd be surprised if Newtown was busy this weekend coming as "summer" will be over by then (but I am no Newtown local)

That's where I'd head in a northerly for a stop off.

dom

Visit site

Just be mindful with Beaulieu that, heading east, the OP will want to get going an hour or so before low water requiring careful calculations around the 1m bar at its entrance.

Incidentally Newtown Creek seemed rammed this w/e Sat and Sunday; not sure why, it's turned into a real hotspot this summer. Known locally as "bumpercars in pajamas", bumps can get expensive when the wind starts to blow ?

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
I'd thought about the Beaulieu, but the bulk of the river lies NNW, so wind over tide will mean shearing around a lot. Anchoring in the lower reaches is narrow and the NW will push you towards a lee shore. I'd go for Hurst myself. Plenty of space and a clear get out if it worsens.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
We spent one night on a buoy in the western arm in a northerly gale with 40 knot gusts. Laid beam on to wind and tide on the ebb, rolled and sheered about all night and woke up before dawn with the rudder aground. Friday's forecast doesn't look that bad and there should be enough west in the wind to give some lee off the land.

Stemar

Visit site
Don't trust your anchor. It used to be one of my favourite spots, but I dragged there last week F5 from the east and I was in the eastern arm. Came in around low, dug the anchor in with a bit of astern, as usual, 4:1 scope for HW, checked we weren't moving and chilled. Woke up firmly aground on the W shore. It''s the first time that anchor's ever let me down, a 10kg delta, on a 24 foot boat.

Fortunately, Jissel's a twin keeler and the anchor held enough for me to be able to pull her off once the tide came in a bit, at which point, exit (as if) pursued by a bear.

I'd forgotten just how bumpy the western Solent can be with 20 knots of wind over a spring tide ... ?

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Thanks for linking that old thread. I've no interest in replacing my delta with a "new gen" but in those locations might go to my Danforth kedge for back up if it were blowy. The only time I felt my Delta was ploughing the soft stuff was up near Dell Quay (Chichester). I was trying some serious astern with a decent amount of chain out. Conditions were benign so I gave up just laid out lots more chain and didn't worry.

Meanwhile back to the Beaulieu option over Newtown.....if depth allows and passage making the buoys you first come to would be sheltered from any chop. But higher up by Bucklers Hard you find lots of pontoons that even with a NNW coming down the river I struggle to see they would be uncomfortable. If you only draw a metre like us then you really can get away from it all and find total tranquility, but that is quite a distance from the entrance.