Newport

TerryA

Visit site
I know Newport has a bridge worth a look and an area called Riverside. Is it possible to get upriver to Riverside in a small mobo and are there any moorings up there for a picnic?

Morpheous

Visit site
That’s funny I was just about to post about Newport too. I’d like to get clear some details mentioned on another thread recently. Apparently there is a pontoon by the yacht club?

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
Terry, if you look at google maps there's a pontoon up at St Julian's Inn, there's small fishing cabin boats by the looks of it . I don't know if it's owned by the pub or not but might be worth giving them a call? You'll have to wait for someone more local to say about getting under bridges, I've only ever gone up just past the transporter bridge but you can't get any further with a mast. There's nowhere I know of you could land easy enough though, you wouldn't want to get stuck in the mud getting up or down a bank. Someone may be along who knows more.

Morpheous, there is a pontoon at the club (well one in the river (it's removed "out of season") and one in the pill) for use by club members and visiting sailors. Obviously members may raft up to you if you're on it so be prepared. You can't get out of the club without a friendly member (there's normally some old boys there every day, most of the day) but there's not much about to see or do. The pontoons do dry but if you were just having a sail up and a lunch stop before heading back to Cardiff after the tide has turned you get a couple of hours of water either side but check depths and done push it otherwise you might as well have a kip.

Best check the website for details about visiting, or give the club a call. As mentioned in the other thread and I'll mention it every time someone asks about visiting... don't go past the pontoon in the pill there's a high voltage power cable that you will hit and it won't end well.

Morpheous

Visit site
Thanks Tom, will definitely check it out this year. When at Portishead we used to go to Chepstow a lot, now looking for an equivalent and a little pontoon somewhere sounds ideal. Will study the charts, we draw 2.1m but more importantly does the club have a bar?

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
Thanks Tom, will definitely check it out this year. When at Portishead we used to go to Chepstow a lot, now looking for an equivalent and a little pontoon somewhere sounds ideal. Will study the charts, we draw 2.1m but more importantly does the club have a bar?

It's a friendly club, you'll be made welcome, we get a lot from CYC popping up.

2.1m you'll want to go in the pill as it's deep mud to sink into if you do dry out/stop a tide (I say it again, don't go past the pontoon ). Bar is usually open Tuesday nights, and the weekend very cheap and hard to say no! If you're lucky there may be a bit of food on a weekend lunch time but no promises ;).

Find us by sea – Newport Uskmouth Sailing Club

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Go up past the transporter bridge on the last 2 hours of tide. Anchor in the deep bit. there is no commercial traffic by that bit, or any quaysides that looked used, but stand to be corrected. go up river in dingy/ rib etc. Definitely an interesting trip.

oh boat draws more than 2 mtr, and pub in the last pic looks worth investigation. Was a good afternoon out.

20180717_111118.jpg20180717_112821.jpg20180717_113419.jpg20180717_114102.jpg20180717_114206.jpg

Birdseye

Visit site
For a visit there is a world of difference. Chepstow, or at least CDYC, is in a pill in open countryside with little or no facilities but nice surroundings. Newport is in a power station, by the outlet of a sewage farm, opposite a coal heap and a steel works. Its actual;ly a bit better than that sounds but scenic it isnt. The river dries at low springs with a rocky centre. The river sides are mostly soft mud. You need a dinghy to get ashore unless you use one of the pontoons. The river has commercial traffic.

Morpheous

Visit site
For a visit there is a world of difference. Chepstow, or at least CDYC, is in a pill in open countryside with little or no facilities but nice surroundings. Newport is in a power station, by the outlet of a sewage farm, opposite a coal heap and a steel works. Its actual;ly a bit better than that sounds but scenic it isnt. The river dries at low springs with a rocky centre. The river sides are mostly soft mud. You need a dinghy to get ashore unless you use one of the pontoons. The river has commercial traffic.
Thanks birdseye. My previous boat was a mobo, so it was all about the destination. Now I've returned from the dark side its all about the journey :) My family are not big sailors, they are ok with afternoons out but have declined longer passages. I'll be doing the Scillies late this year, not with family. I reckon I can get away with the 3-4 hour round trip to Newport, if we can get a pint or a brew fine. Not the end of the world if we can't. I quite like powerstations...

TOKOLOSHI

Visit site
What you see is what you get! Peace and quiet with lots of wild life! St Pierre Pill Pontoon has very deep mud and the Pill does dry out! Sailing directions are on the CDYC website.