Newbie too the Thames

Actionmat

Visit site
I wonder why anyone new to the Thames bothers with a licence. I walked past 4 boats that have been moored at Teddington Lock since before the lockdown. One with a temp licence that ran out a month ago, 2 with 2019 licences and a steel cruiser, the most recent licence in the window - 2011.

Old Crusty

Visit site
I wonder why anyone new to the Thames bothers with a licence. I walked past 4 boats that have been moored at Teddington Lock since before the lockdown. One with a temp licence that ran out a month ago, 2 with 2019 licences and a steel cruiser, the most recent licence in the window - 2011.

A barrister leading EA legal training stated that 5% of the population ignore all laws, 20% of the population follow all laws slavishly and the remaining 75% watch what the regulatory authorities do to the 5% then make a decision based on that action.

Once the enforcement team gets out again, unregistered boats will be booked and the owners invited to buy a registration within 14 days (28 in reality) and if they don't, they will receive notice of impending prosecution of this criminal offence. That prods 95% of defaulters to pay up. The resistant 5% get prosecuted and of them, most cough up before the court hearing. The rest get fined.

That's why most boaters buy a registration though I know that those who slip their boats in on a single reach often don't knowing that they are unlikely to be caught.

Actionmat

Visit site
Reasonable? I pay £850 per annum for what is effectively a tax on boat ownership. It's June and Sunbury Lock is still blocked, cutting me off from the rest of the Thames.

Dylan lane

Visit site
Reasonable? I pay £850 per annum for what is effectively a tax on boat ownership. It's June and Sunbury Lock is still blocked, cutting me off from the rest of the Thames.

Reasonable compared too the canal prices
Licence Price
12 Month licence£552.57

This is for a 3.30m dingy I get a discount as its portable and only use 4hp engine it goes up if I use 5hp engine. So I would need a loan too use your boat on the canal lol