Newbie to Forum and Thames Boating

Thallac

Visit site
Hi

I am also based in Chisiwck on the tideway. My first boat was a speed boat cuddy with a 90 HP etec. It was fine for going past the barrier, however I switched to another boat as I found it quite scary going through central London and beyond in a small boat due to the tides and wake created by other boats. That said I do miss the speed and flexibility of just getting into a small boat and going.

Re the PLA by law they are aimed at boats who want to take paying passengers.

To get it you need to get your RYA Commercial endorsement which involves

First aid
Vhf
Safety at sea survival course
Day skipper or Power boat level 2
Day skipper theory
Online commercial exam set by the Rya

You then need to do the LKE if you want to use your qualification downstream of Putney

Which involves gaining 60 days Thames experience downnstream of Putney, you can do this by going up on your boat or simply sitting in one of the clippers.

You then need to an exam which is the equivelant of the knowledge for the cabbies. The point of it is to understand all the names of the reaches and bridges so when there is a message on the radio you know what you are talking about.

The hard part is getting your boat coded, you need to ensure you have all the safety equipment, then an out of water survey. Each year you need to be checked by the pla.

Then finally if you want to go fast you need a second crew member with power boat level 2.

As you can see there is a lot of work. I think the priorities would be vhf course and power boat level 2

Happy boating

Paul HD

Visit site
Hi Jorge,
I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if you are still at CQM?

I recently joined the beautiful marina.

Regards,
Paul.

Dave_Seager

www.seagers.org.uk
Why don't the locks upstream use chains instead of the bollards? We got to Chiswick Pier around 8:30p.m.
Some lock do have chains. They were originally used for rowing skiffs as their crews could not reach up to the bollards when going upstream. The main problem is that they are usually green and slimy and can be completely submerged when the lock is full, especially if the river level is high.