Newbie help/advice please

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Ok I see you probably mean Bourne end marina. I was assuming you meant the bankside moorings at Spade Oak, which are usually full by now of winter moorers and even if there is room at the top end it is very shallow.

If Bourne end marina have a spot then that is perfect as it's a floating pontoon so no depth issues at all. Also good for filling up the diesel tanks.

realslimshady

Visit site
Ok I see you probably mean Bourne end marina. I was assuming you meant the bankside moorings at Spade Oak, which are usually full by now of winter moorers and even if there is room at the top end it is very shallow.

If Bourne end marina have a spot then that is perfect as it's a floating pontoon so no depth issues at all. Also good for filling up the diesel tanks.
That's exactly it. We're not going to be equipped for 'free camping', so a pontoon and walk ashore and facilities will be very handy.

Mark26

Visit site
Actually - just a thought, having seen the pics and specs of your boat...

...when you leave Penton Hook Lock and turn hard to starboard to start the run into the marina, keep well away from the right bank - the back of the lock island. It is very shallow and I’ve towed two much smaller boats than yours off there this year.

It is also very shallow as you get close to the weir so keep well away.

Just before you get to the marina itself you will see a buoyed-off shoal on your starboard side, give it a wide berth. The water over the top of the shoal is just a few inches deep.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I guess probably Fawley then. Or come through Hambleden and moor near me at Medmenham.

It'll be dark by then. Down towards Hurley is not very good in the dark unless you are very familiar with the River.

Bit if a chance of ending up in the trees at the top of Frogmore island.

oldgit

Visit site
Nit picking about flags is fine but "Unmatched Fenders" !!! and the crew does not appear to be wearing the de rigueur expensive technical clothing *** suitable for single handling across the Atlantic , much favoured by those challenging the untamed might of the non tidal Thames.
*** always in a worrying shade of Pastel and with matching gloves.
:):):).
Would that vessel be allowed into Bray or Windsor one needs to ask, or instructed to raise a
1607677748667.png flag and remain outside and the committee assembled.