Newbie help/advice please

realslimshady

Visit site
Thanks for all the interest and 'spots' folks, seems we got quite famous over the last three days! Yes we made it to PH, it's been a challenging three days, all done (after leaving Thames and Kennet fuel pontoon wednesday morning) on the port engine only, could not get the stbd to run reliably, if at all.
Cookham lock cut not the closest, think that was Windsor, which apparently (I was at the helm) we cleared by about two inches. I was judging the bridge heights by how much my 6'6" son ducked as we went under them...at Windsor he dropped to a crouch...
Apart from a few messy approaches to the lock pontoons we were pretty much in control the whole way, we stopped at Henley (as reported) Wednesday night, and Bray last night, where with 240v we got to have heating and light, which made for a more comfortable night.
The final big challenge was the right turn out of PH lock, into the current, which turned into a 400 degree turn to port as couldn't get the bow around. Spinning the other way got the stern pushed downriver and we made the turn, though for a minute or two I was out of ideas...
Don't know if any lock keepers read this forum, but a big thanks to the ones we met-couldn't have been more friendly and helpful.
And thanks to everyone for their help here, gave us the confidence to go for it.
And I promise to remove the flag.

Parabordi

Visit site
As you may have noticed on my other thread, we're going to put our boat on the Thames at Caversham and then move her to Penton Hook. Never boated on a river before. So any hints/tips/guidance welcome. We are familiar with how a lock works :).
I also doubt we'll do it in one day, so an overnight stop will be required...
All help appreciated.
Jeepers that didn't take long:-
Liveaboard Motor Yacht | eBay

Chris_d

Visit site
Unfortunately best place to get rid of a manky old livaboard......The Thames.
Will be rotting under a tree somewhere in a couple of years. Would like to think someone will restore that to its former glory but unlikely.☹

The Glassman

Visit site
Yes, Chris, that's quite possible - but if someone has coughed-up £60k they may well have a good go at a restoration. Nice old boat, but not really a Thames cruiser, more a Thames static/marina-based liveaboard. It'd be nice on the Dutch waterways if it were restored, though.

oldgit

Visit site
" It should fly away" . As a nice boat perhaps.
At some point the asking price will meet the market . Finding somewhere to moor on the Thames should not prove hard , many marinas have space.
Somewhere to permanently moor as a livaboard is a totally different kettle of fish,

Last edited:

Time Out

Visit site
and you know that how?

As I work in the industry, take that back to the Netherlands, scope out the work to bring it back to showroom conditions and you will be looking at that number plus some. i did say originally glory, not make do.

Take a look at some of the smaller Feadships here.

Fleet

nothing sinister in my original comment, just a realistic figure if you were looking at a total restoration / refit