Newbie advice needed

AndrewB

Visit site
£25k? Based on what size of boat and lifestyle? Way over the top for many cruisers, who don't have big boats and rarely use marinas, expensive restaurants and golf clubs.
Based on Jimmy Cornell's survey, obviously. Nearly all those 57 yachts were in the 36'-44' range. I knew two of the crews he interviewed and can vouch that they were not living an extravagant lifestyle. Nor did we, yet towards the end of our time blue-water cruising (i.e. when we about the OP's age) our annual expenditure as a couple was £22,500. We avoided marinas like the plague, but sometimes there was no choice if we needed help, or facilities, for some urgent maintenance task. We ate out once a fortnight when in harbour. We hired cars very occasionally - what's the point of going to all these exotic locations if you can't afford to see anything of them? Our boat was a relatively simple 38' boat without generator, watermaker, freezer, autopilot or fancy electronics like a chartplotter (not even a GPS when we first started out).

However, up to a third of our average expenditure was on an annual return to England which our families demanded, so I guess that could be regarded as an extra. Oh, also health insurance if you want to take a chance, but some countries won't allow you in without boat insurance.

Yes, we met people who claimed to be doing it on less than £1,000 a month. In some cases it was obvious that maths was not their strong point. For the more believable, youngsters, able to rough it, could supplement their income with casual work and so get by (one we knew was eventually caught carrying £4m worth of cocaine). But it's a different story for people of mid-50's and older, who form the majority of blue-water cruisers. Perhaps there were loners we never met. But bottom-budgeters we did encounter often seemed to be a living a pretty miserable sort of existence, getting little pleasure from the lifestyle. And then what happens when some expensive maintenance is needed, as it surely does? There is a trail of yachts abandoned and derelict, right round the main cruising routes.

Last edited:

Skiaviator

Visit site
I would strongly echo those asking why you are aiming to sail around the world, as opposed to just go sailing. Having that as a goal seems perverse for someone in your position. If the objective to have some fun, challenge yourself, do new things and meet new people in new places, that's enough to get started with IMHO. My advice is simply buy a capable boat and just go sailing. You may end up circumnavigating, but I rather doubt it. The boats I know who have done the most demanding and challenging sailing on extended voyages lasting many years, have not actually circumnavigated as far as I know. Although, come to think of it, they might have done, I have never actually asked them and they have never mentioned it!

My very personal comments: £30,000 will buy and fit out a boat capable of going anywhere, but you need to be careful over the hull that you choose. It will be tempting to get the most volume that you can for your money - do not do that! Costs of everything goes with length cubed. Physical effort for many things, like lugging sails around on deck, also go with length cubed. Get the smallest, most solid, boat you can live with, and one where someone else has already spent money on an expensive fit-out. Spend no more than 60% of your dosh on the initial purchase, keep the rest for the inevitable big expenses as soon as you start.

Also, at the risk of sounding rude, your comment about not wanting to call out the RNLI is telling. In most of the world there is no-one who will come for you and no-one to hear if you shout for help. You will be on your own. Even with an EPIRB and a satphone, no-one is coming to pull you off the rocks or give you a tow. The embarrassment of a shiny lifeboat coming to your rescue is the least of your worries ;-)
Sound advice indeed,
the desire not to call out the RNLI was more of a "I don't want to look a fool" kind of thing. I realise that I have a bit of a journey ahead. The ambition to sail around the world is an aim, but the goal is really to do some lond distance cruising, if that means I end up half way around the world then it might be quicker to continue rather than turn back :LOL:

Skiaviator

Visit site
"It's what you haven't done that matters when your old",
No harm in doing research, enjoy the journey.
Where are you based?
I am based in the huge skies of Norfolk, My nearest marina would be Ipswich, or Wells harbour. Considering there is a lot of coast around East Anglia I am about as far as you ca get from it :D

ashtead

Visit site
If you are looking at reading about sailing the West Indies there is a sailing britican couple plus young daughter - quite informative on issues but obviously a much larger boat etc but might be a way of spending a few hours . As mentioned when sailing further afield don’t discount unexpected emergencies which require your return home like family events,your need for medical treatment(even being on the Isle of Wight I worry what would happen if I fell)? but seriously evac from far flung places needs proper insurance etc . Start small with a bilge Keebler so you can find safety in smaller places and if berthing as a visitor easy to find space etc and as said budget for loads of repairs etc . Even on a new boat you end up replacing batteries,hauling out,polishing,oil and filters etc leaving aside engines repairs like new water pump etc. Seek locally maybe to start with to gain some info on possible boats. At whatever budget your choices become quite limited in current market I guess.