New water taps

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
There are some very effective filtration systems available. I know a bloke who has been filtering river water for all his needs on a residential boat for about 20 years. Two kids and misses on boat. Kids still on boat as adults. All the water from the River.

No fizzer for the EA, its management has Teflon shoulders. The EA is notoriously slow to implement new legislation and often does it poorly. These regs were laid down in 2016 if memory serves.

It was the same with legionella inspections at lock sites, that was 8 years late being implemented.

CRT were quick on the uptake. The water board inspected my residential mooring (CRT owned mooring) and one of the residents had a letter from water board mentioning legal action as they had a direct connected supply to their boat without the correct fittings.

I top mine up with a disconnected hose not a permanent fitting so not a problem but they did not like the direct connection thing at all. Not good.

It's obviously not good anyway as you can sink the boat but it does sometimes get done.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Not that it effects us anymore, but isn't the answer to provide multiple taps, rather than just one?

This is what I suggested in the thread I started about this topic recently. It's not very far down this section of the forum.

The pressure is adequate to provide at least 3 taps. I don't understand why this incredibly obvious solution has not been considered. It would help a lot.

Maybe the aim is indeed to get rid of drinking water supply altogether. One wonders if it is something the EA are obliged to provide and if it isn't then why do they still provide it as a service ?

penfold

Visit site
I predict a rush of sales of garishly coloured novelty plastic wedding rings, inner diameter coincidentally the right size to be a sliding fit on a hozelock fitting. Have the EA never heard of non-return valves? I believe they were pioneered in the 19th century.

Scapegoat

Visit site
There are some very effective filtration systems available. I know a bloke who has been filtering river water for all his needs on a residential boat for about 20 years. Two kids and misses on boat. Kids still on boat as adults. All the water from the River.

Sounds like a great idea - do you have any web links or system names I can look up?

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Sounds like a great idea - do you have any web links or system names I can look up?
I will have to check the exact one with my friend but he mentioned they have come down in price a lot recently.

Something like this but as I am not completely au fait with these this one might not be the exact item you need.

6 Stage Pumped Reverse Osmosis 50GDP Drinking Water Filter System UV Steriliser 5060447580249 | eBay

Basically a multi stage filter and you also want a UV light.

I am planning to put one on my Thames boat and use via a seperate tank for washing water. I would baulk at drinking it but it is apparently okay so for washing I suspect it would be fine.

Disclaimer: I have never used one of these devices. If you use one and die of poisoning then don't come running to me!

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I predict a rush of sales of garishly coloured novelty plastic wedding rings, inner diameter coincidentally the right size to be a sliding fit on a hozelock fitting. Have the EA never heard of non-return valves? I believe they were pioneered in the 19th century.
I think a short piece of bicycle innertube, the thin type, would do the job.

It would help a bit but the main problem is the taps are normal taps thus reducing the available flow anyway. Even without the lab tap fittings the flow rate has been significantly reduced from what it was before.

I suppose a problem with fitting 3 taps may be that someone with large tankage may simply buy 3 hoses or work out a way to adapt 3 small hoses into one big hose and simply use all three taps to speed up their own tank filling..

Scapegoat

Visit site
I am planning to put one on my Thames boat and use via a seperate tank for washing water. I would baulk at drinking it but it is apparently okay so for washing I suspect it would be fine.

Disclaimer: I have never used one of these devices. If you use one and die of poisoning then don't come running to me!

Thanks - I’m thinking for washing, flushing etc - majority of water use. Prefer bottled water for tea ?

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I'll do a seperate thread about these once I have got the exact product description from my friend.

He has used one for about 20 years on the Thames in his narrow boat and this includes a woman and raising children so quite a lot of water consumption.

I don't know for sure if they drink it but believe they might do.

I did wonder if this explains them having 3 ears each. Seems unlikely but it's possible I suppose...

ashtead

Visit site
Someone near us produced a plastic screw in connector to go into water tank inlet to take the hose lock end connector. The effect is the filler hose is then locked into the tank filler when the cap is removed. I would have thought with a 3D printer you could make some form of connector to effectively block the tap holes though? Must be someone on the forum who could be commissioned to make a suitable device for forumites in return for a suitable charitable donation.

oldgit

Visit site
The pressure is adequate to provide at least 3 taps. I don't understand why this incredibly obvious solution has not been considered. It would help a lot.

Durr.................Divide the flow into three taps and its going to take 3 times as long to fill each tank.
...............Or have the laws of friction/physics been rewritten on the Thames.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Maybe the aim is indeed to get rid of drinking water supply altogether. One wonders if it is something the EA are obliged to provide and if it isn't then why do they still provide it as a service ?
The EA are not obliged to provide but I doubt there is any such agenda to dispense with the limited facilities that exist. What we do suffer from, though, is a complete lack of vision for the development and promotion of what should be one of Europes finest inland waterways.
Sheer common sense would suggest that, in the 21st Century, the ready availability of fresh potable water, sewage disposal and toilet facilities at all locks should be a given.

Last edited:

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Durr.................Divide the flow into three taps and its going to take 3 times as long to fill each tank.
...............Or have the laws of friction/physics been rewritten on the Thames.

No because the supply pipe is bigger than the taps.

That's the whole point. A small tap has been fitted to a supply which used to have a large bore hose( fire hose).

So if it the output of one tap is 1/3 of the available total then three taps would be able to run at the same output as the original single large hose.

I've used the Hurley water point before and after and it is now discharging a fraction of what it was. It is -capable- of discharging a lot of water hence my suggestion of multiple taps.
Even without the vent holes opening the discharge from the tap itself is a very narrow stream of water at quite high pressure.

It will be taking a looong time to fill a tank of any respectable size.

Whitlock

Visit site
Someone near us produced a plastic screw in connector to go into water tank inlet to take the hose lock end connector. The effect is the filler hose is then locked into the tank filler when the cap is removed. I would have thought with a 3D printer you could make some form of connector to effectively block the tap holes though? Must be someone on the forum who could be commissioned to make a suitable device for forumites in return for a suitable charitable donation.
Won't gaffer tape do it?

Big John

Visit site
Tried out the tap at the lock and found that there was a little leaking out of the holes. Checked the Hozloc fitting and found that there was a one way valve inside the fitting to stop water from the hose being allowed to go back into the water system. Remove the small rubber O ring off the plastic valve and refitted to the tap. No leaking from the holes and good flow of water. Dont think in any way you will spead up filling. The bore is very much smaller than the original hose as supplied by the EA. Expect a long wait if a large boat is in front of you.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Interesting how this could cause residential boaters to irritate pleasure boaters.

Some people want to just stop for water briefly then carry on boating other people only move the boat to get water ;)

Different priorities but I really don't think it's going to be particularly enjoyable waiting 3 hours for someone else to replenish their domestic water supply !

I wonder if the EA have considered this side of it all.

Imagine the Magna Carta that would probably take a week !!

Barge

Visit site
I had put off a trip to the water point for as long as i could... But this evening (while it was quiet) i gathered my hoses and filled my tank at Cleeve...

Some figures to give you a rough idea of flow rates:

10L bucket took a minute to fill.

There are two taps at Cleeve lock, and as i had made up two hoses i put both in - 15L a minute with both.

So for my tanks i will be sat there for about 40 - 60 minutes (which isn't horrendous and I was expecting worse) but before i would have been in and out in under 20.

Other threads that may be of interest