New water taps

TrueBlue

Visit site
Very little comment on here about the new water taps - let alone any real information.
I culled the above from a U-tube video. This tap is at Benson .
I'm unfamiliar with this fitting - so where do I get an adaptor (no chandlery at my marina...)
BTW we don't use water taps at locks - only the hydrant types where I guess the fittings are different, or have the hydrants been removed.

Whitlock

Visit site
Very little comment on here about the new water taps - let alone any real information.
I'm unfamiliar with this fitting - so where do I get an adaptor (no chandlery at my marina...)
BTW we don't use water taps at locks - only the hydrant types where I guess the fittings are different, or have the hydrants been removed.
No video,

oldgit

Visit site
There you go ... the fitting is a standard garden "Hozelock" type

That looks to be very simple and basic attachment, anybody with half a Bra..........................a 5 year old could use it it ...................................
Ahh..... see the problem now...were talking about the Thames :):):)

Scapegoat

Visit site
What’s the betting that the “below tap end” is removed before filling hose is attached and then replaced after tank is filled?

TrueBlue

Visit site
The problem is (to my simple mind) that whereas the older arrangement - and I'm writing about the hydrant hoses - do the job well, they are not Kosher for taody's regulations.
Unlike boater complaints - EA Thames region would be on a fizzer if they didn't follow what the regulatons say.
In the end it's the boaters who will be inconvenienced - but whop (in authority) listens to boaters.......

Everyone will muddle through in due course.
My marina has excellent water taps.... (fnar, fnar)

Parabordi

Visit site
The problem is (to my simple mind) that whereas the older arrangement - and I'm writing about the hydrant hoses - do the job well, they are not Kosher for taody's regulations.
Unlike boater complaints - EA Thames region would be on a fizzer if they didn't follow what the regulatons say.
In the end it's the boaters who will be inconvenienced - but whop (in authority) listens to boaters.......

Not sure i understood much of that?

Plum

Visit site
The next time someone passes one of these taps would you please measure and post the diameter shown in this picture, purely out of interest.... Thanks.
Inkedwatertapcleeve3.jpg

Rappey

Visit site
, purely out of interest.... Thanks.
I'm sure a pipe wrench would work equally as well as the idea I think you may have? ?
I wonder why they have chosen an anti back flow device that's not hard plumbed?
Is a removable one permited? An in line on the supply pipe would be far more sensible.
It's like they have chosen a device to reduce available pressure.
I checked and marinas don't have to have that thing, just non return valves before the tap

Old Crusty

Visit site

No fizzer for the EA, its management has Teflon shoulders. The EA is notoriously slow to implement new legislation and often does it poorly. These regs were laid down in 2016 if memory serves.

It was the same with legionella inspections at lock sites, that was 8 years late being implemented.

oldgit

Visit site
Any chance of us boaters with simple £4.50 Hozelock adaptor taking priority in the water que, ? :)
We could be away very quickly, 10 secs to connect an start filling up.
The time taken by half dozen boat skippers all removing and replacing the EA adaptor is likely to delay things considerably.
At some point somebody is going to buggar up the thread on the tap and make it unuseable for the majority.

This does have its upsides for some, . Tap terrorists can then complain when the EA takes a week to install a new fitting.
The bill can of course go on to the licence fee so no problem there.

1618042465646.png

Last edited:

ianc1200

Visit site
Not that it effects us anymore, but isn't the answer to provide multiple taps, rather than just one? Then the traditional Thames cruiser with a 50 gallon tank won't have to wait whilst a widebeam with a 500 gallon tank fills up taking forever. Assuming the pressure is still the same then 2 or 3 boats filling using 1" hoses would still work. Years ago we borrowed a friend's narrowboat and were amazed to find the number of watertaps at Hawkesbury Junction, just couldn't believe why the EA don't do the same.