New to us boat... what spares/tools do we need onboard

jrudge

Visit site
It depends how handy you are with tools. I have toilet pumps, water pumps, wire, hose, plumbing fittings, service parts for engines, gen, rib and tools like you can't imagine. I can usually fix anything to a point. The more capable you are the more useful it is to carry lots of stuff.

As oldgit says as a minimum impellers and filters and the tools to fit them.

BruceK

Visit site
You actually need surprisingly few sockets and spanners as for the most part the bolts are pretty uniform is sizes. 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19 will do for 95% on my engine. However, what actually happens is you bring all your tools. Then you replenish your garage. Then you drop a tool in the bilge so you bring the garage set. That stays onboard and before you know it you are carrying 200 kilo in tools promiscing yourself you'll return some and you never get round to it.

I'd get a a good set of smanners and sockets in their teens and one imperial set too. Good screw drivers and a comprehensive electrical set. In my experience most of your bodge jobs will be electrical rather than mechanical. Multimeter, assorted wire, crimps, butane solder and shrink sleeves etc

Spares, for now impeller and belts, fuel filter. I change my belts every year and keep the old spare. So a spare set now can be used as spare next year if still good as an emergency get you home spare. Coolant and oil and ATF

BruceK

Visit site
Oh, forgot to add. Hose the same ID as your raw water coolant hose and assorted circlips and bungs. On my engine at least a broken, loose or otherwise belt can chaffe through a raw water pipe in milliseconds. The alternator belt is particularly prone to doing this if it gets loose.

BruceK

Visit site
Another useful thing is a tablet with all the workshop files on (plus a SIM and shortcut to here) and a packet of Johnson's babywipes. One thing you'll learn very quickly, is once in the engine room there is no amount of hand cleaning you can do down there and still not leave grease prints on the white grp and vinyls. Johnsons Baby wipes saved my bacon from the Admiral's wrath many times. Accept no substitute. I cant believe it's safe on babyskin either. It removes anything.

BruceK

Visit site
You're just still sore cos I said you bodged your engine FUBAR and refused to help you bodge it further. Paul was much more polite about it but I know he was thinking it too ? ?

Bouba

Visit site
My engine is American so I have a complete set of SAE spanners. In other words you should at least have the tools that a mechanic on an emergency call out may not have with him

rafiki_

Visit site
Depends on your machinery. Pointless me carrying impellers, although I did, as to change the impeller needed the water pump removed. This was a major job needing the water hoses removed, and a few other things. The impellers were real heavy duty items and were good for several years.

Bandit

Visit site
A good set of tools, screwdrivers, a jubilee clip hex drive flexible, spare jubilees, tapered bungs, filter wrench , some tinned electrical wire.

Spares at lease 8 fuel prefilters, belts, impellers, engine oil, coolant, gearbox oil, hydraulic oil for steering and small funnels. Rags.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Depends on your machinery. Pointless me carrying impellers, although I did, as to change the impeller needed the water pump removed. This was a major job needing the water hoses removed, and a few other things. The impellers were real heavy duty items and were good for several years.
The impellers are dead easy to change , forward facing pumps and about 18 inches space in front of both engines , the only reason I bought Steelaway .