New to boating help needed

bt965

Visit site
Hello all
Presently I am looking to buy my first boat to sail in coastal waters. I have owned a narrow boat in the past and do realise that any boat is a money pit.
Anyway, there is a 1981 Fairline weekender powerd by a Ford diesel that has caught my eye, it seems to tick the boxes for what I need although from the photos the interior needs attention. the boat is presently out of the water on a trailer.
I could do with some advice on what to look out for in general and any information on this particular vessel would be a bonus.
I am new to the forum so there may already be information on the subject somewhere, if so a pointer to where I could find it would be welcome

I plan to view the boat soon

Best regards and keep safe

Bob

bt965

Visit site
Hello all
Presently I am looking to buy my first boat to sail in coastal waters. I have owned a narrow boat in the past and do realise that any boat is a money pit.
Anyway, there is a 1981 Fairline weekender powerd by a Ford diesel that has caught my eye, it seems to tick the boxes for what I need although from the photos the interior needs attention. the boat is presently out of the water on a trailer.
I could do with some advice on what to look out for in general and any information on this particular vessel would be a bonus.
I am new to the forum so there may already be information on the subject somewhere, if so a pointer to where I could find it would be welcome

I plan to view the boat soon

Best regards and keep safe

Bob

pvb

Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

The PBO forum tends to be a bit sailboat-related, so you might get better answers to your question if you post it on the Motor Boat forum. It helps if you give as much information as possible, eg engine model, etc.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Whatever else you do you need the boat back in the water for a sea trial before committing to buy. You need to see it’s water tight and that the engine is working correctly under load.

CLB

Visit site
They wasn’t an original fitment engine so ‘buyer beware’ is very appropriate. Make sure it has all been done properly and it performs as it should.

TernVI

Visit site
I would say the No 1 thing to determine is the condition of the engine.
Yes, it's quite an old boat, so the value of it will take a big hit if the engine is poorly.
OTOH, a mate of mine bouaght an old powerboat and re-engined it very cheaply by swapping the marinising bits to a good vehicle engine. But he is a keen mechanic.
Ideally, buy something you have (justifiable!) faith in.

bt965

Visit site
Thanks all for taking time to reply.
Interesting information supplied by CLB that the Ford engine is not original spec. It is advertised as 60hp = 44.7kW , I don't want to bow ride accross the channel towing a syncronised waterskiing team in 15 mins, but I would like to, on the odd occaision, sail against the tide. Is this enough power for general use?

Any thoughts grateful

Bob

QBhoy

Visit site
Alarm bells always ring when I hear of a boat that has an engine that I know was not there originally. Especially a diesel like this. Don’t get me wrong. Some guys make a good job of it...but with reference to this particular engine. It’s defo not going to be well suited or geared to the outdrive. Totally different Rev range from the original a d definitely won’t plane. As it was designed to. That may not bother you...but in that case...you’d be better off with a boat that goes slow well...as in a displacement hull. I’d also be aware that the noise and refinement levels will be almost unbearable if you want to do anything more than dead slow. Hope that helps.

bt965

Visit site
Thanks all for replying
What I have learned in my short quest so far to buy a suitable vessel is that it is a absolute effin minefield!
In an ideal world one could view the vessel out of the water and then sea trial the vessel. Obviously in the budget I am limited to this is impossible, so blind judgments and "gut feelings" come in to play. What I have looked for on the few boats that I have viewed is obvious "bodging", for example one Colvic boats worn throttle cable had been repaired with a chocolate block electrical connector, it may have worked ok but skimping on paying a few quid for a replacement makes you wonder on what " bodges" have been done to more expensive and maybe more essential equipment. But the one thing that really has make me walk away is seeng the engine and ancillary components freshly painted in multiple coats of blue, black or red Dulux paint..................Why paint an engine unless there's something to hide.

Other paint manufactures are available
Bob

bt965

Visit site
Many thanks QBhoy for this technical information. I did raise this question of the advertised hp to an earlier post. I do have an engineering background although my marine engineering is limited to electrical power generation on vessels not propulsion. I did think 60hp was a tad light for a boat of this size but did not realise the consequences of underpower.
Thanks for educating me most clearly and I will be mindful when I view the vessel.

Best regards

Bob

Somerset Jim

Visit site
Many thanks QBhoy for this technical information. I did raise this question of the advertised hp to an earlier post. I do have an engineering background although my marine engineering is limited to electrical power generation on vessels not propulsion. I did think 60hp was a tad light for a boat of this size but did not realise the consequences of underpower.
Thanks for educating me most clearly and I will be mindful when I view the vessel.

Best regards

Bob

if it helps then I used to have a Fairline weekender with a Volvo pentagon aqad41 Diesel engine (200hp) which was well matched to the size of the boat.

The hulls are very well built so I would continue looking at them but I would bide your time for the right boat with a good engine since the wrong decision with the engine could end up in big bills.

Good luck with the search.

oldgit

Visit site
if it helps then I used to have a Fairline weekender with a Volvo pentagon aqad41 Diesel engine (200hp) which was well matched to the size of the boat.

The hulls are very well built so I would continue looking at them but I would bide your time for the right boat with a good engine since the wrong decision with the engine could end up in big bills.

Good luck with the search.

Would have thought 60HP was not enough power especially considering the extra weight of the diesel.
Fine for non tidal but a real struggle anywhere else.
One of our club members had a similar boat , constant problems mostly due to the conversion (and the leg).
It was eventually sold to somebody in the Solent area. Do hope this is not the same boat.

Last edited:

bt965

Visit site
I thank you all for the trouble you taken to educate me.
The information you all chipped in with helped immensely when I went to view the vessel. Needles to say I walked away from the sale without buying and absolutely covered in Bulls***t. When I asked when the engine was replaced the vendor told me that the Ford 4 cylinder diesel was the original fitment, so I asked " why is there a Volvo Pentax plate on the instrument panel" after a bit of thought he replied with "the instrument panel is not original" I had to laugh.
The trailer was in good nick though.

oldgit

Visit site
Two things you need to quickly learn when when buying a boat, when to walk away and when to run :)
There will be a boat out there somewhere worth your money , look at as many as you possibly can , it will help sort out the dire money pits the owner is desperate to unload on the unsuspecting and a boat the owner has taken care of.
Worth looking at what else is out there in your price bracket, even if it does not fall into your present idea of the type of boat you want.
After looking at dozen boats one will stand out as being the right boat for the right money.
One tip, very much doubt in this price bracket many are put in the hands of brokers. Worth trawling the For Sale notices on Gumtree and the many free boat websites.
A visit to local boatyards might reveal a few For Sale notices in boat windows.
If you are anywhere near the non tidal Thames this is a good place to find lot of small boats (to view, not necessarily to buy ) in a small area which you could search confortably in a day.

Restoration man

Visit site
If you don’t want serious problems / expense, buy a shaft driven boat you will have 50% less problems From the start , old outdrives are true money pits , most other things can be fixed yourself, outdrives are the work of the devel

Hot Property

Visit site
If you don’t want serious problems / expense, buy a shaft driven boat you will have 50% less problems From the start , old outdrives are true money pits , most other things can be fixed yourself, outdrives are the work of the devel

Agreed.

You could just buy a modern outboard powered boat and go boating!