New or Used Ship?

raymondlpottorff

Visit site
We're developing an Island and need to transport our materials. Is someone know what the best options or should I say ship to carry us there and our building materials? We're thinking that after we build, the ship will be the regular transportation for the tourist.

Thanks in advance,

Raymond

sarabande

Visit site
The size and type of ship depends on the location. If you tell us which island, we can advise on a suitable ship. How, for instnce, are you going to unload the materials ? Crane ?

And for carrying passengers you will need special qualifications, and the ship will need lots of passenger equipment.

Perhaps post this in Practical Boat OWner forum, where more people will see it.

MarvinJ

Visit site
Yup, there are a lot of variables. You can have really good older boat and you can have very lousy new one. You need to think of what exactly you need and inspect the offers properly. Try to learn something about the company, previous owner, history of the ship you are looking at etc. New doesn’t necessarily means good. For some good laughs, you can look here. But that is extreme case. :)

alant

Visit site
We're developing an Island and need to transport our materials. Is someone know what the best options or should I say ship to carry us there and our building materials? We're thinking that after we build, the ship will be the regular transportation for the tourist.

Thanks in advance,

Raymond

How about a landing craft with drop down door, or something like Parahandy's Clyde Puffer which was used to supply islands etc in Scotland (could lay alongside & be beached for offloading).

http://uk.boats.com/power-boats/201...5419/?refSource=standard listing#.WpwJGKmnw1I

http://commercial.apolloduck.co.uk/listings.phtml?cid=12

Last edited:

milljan

Visit site
New ship would be better since you're planning to use it in long-term. Make sure that buy the one that promises lasting quality and durability.