New Nordhavn 41

EricJ

Visit site
I actually think that both are split, with the two halves of the hull married afterwards.
Why would they do it that way? I’d imagine that it becomes more difficult to get all the parts together in the right position; the two hull halves and the tray with engine mounts etc.

MapisM

Visit site
Can you think of an alternative, for building a fiberglass hull with a structural deep keel?

Visit site
The quality looks fantastic a real little ship. So attractive to just think of going anywhere. Still in NZ one of our favourite trips is to an island 50NM away. It would take all day at 7knots. So maybe I’m more swift trawler 41 than Nordhavn 41

Jsu

Visit site
These are very niche boats, big money for small boats and it’s not a speedboat.

I guess they know their market so they designed a boat they expect to sell. And it does look like a good quality boat In its own way.

The target buyer seems to be those that are
- limited to around 40 feet in size By berth space at home or at their cruising area (or prefer handling a smaller boat)
- does not need a lot of guest cabin space for overnight visitors
- happy only moving at displacement speeds (max 10 knots)
- need the range to cross oceans
- still have the sizeable budget for a Nordhavn.

If the long range is really needed - at least my preference at 40 foot - would lean towards a blue water oriented quality sailing yacht that also offers a decent deck salon (such as the Sirius yachts from Germany or maybe the Island Packet). This would give you even more flexibility, same or better redundancy (sails + engine rather than two engines), equally good sea keeping and range (one could argue even longer range under sail), a similar slow cruising speed (either under sail or using the engine).

So what is the N41 niche.

People who need to be (or want to dream about) crossing an ocean on their own keel (how many really do this in a 40 foot power boat), but at the same time do not want to learn or are unable to handle sails, or have a strong preference for a power boat (but at the same time can accept moving at a snail speed even on shorter passages), or those who fit all the above and need a low air draft for inland waterways. But then - for inland use - seems it desperately needs a flybridge where you can sit and watch the world go by as you gently cruise along at 7 knots.

Seems indeed like a niche product. But at the same time I am sure it is a great boat for those that match the exact requirements.

Maybe the ideal buyers are the retired couple who got tired of handling sails and gave up the 40+ feet sailing boat, but still loves spending time at sea, have all the time in the world and no rush to get anywhere (they came from a sail boat so used to taking their time). Want the ability to cruise more remote areas with limited refuelling options - so enjoy the range - not for ocean crossing - but for the autonomy. And who does not expect more than very occasional overnight visitors onboard.

It would seem a great choice for that need - and maybe that is not such a small niche after all

The (just Slightly) larger trawlers I better get because at just a bit up in size from this one - you get a level of comfort and space not found on many sailing boats - a fly bridge + room to lounge around while taking a week to get somewhere and then have a floating apartment when you arrive at your destination with the extra room for friends or family to visit when you get there.

Still not sure about the compromises at this size bracket.

Bouba

Visit site
I guess they know their market so they designed a boat they expect to sell. And it does look like a good quality boat In its own way.

The target buyer seems to be those that are
- limited to around 40 feet in size By berth space at home or at their cruising area (or prefer handling a smaller boat)
- does not need a lot of guest cabin space for overnight visitors
- happy only moving at displacement speeds (max 10 knots)
- need the range to cross oceans
- still have the sizeable budget for a Nordhavn.

If the long range is really needed - at least my preference at 40 foot - would lean towards a blue water oriented quality sailing yacht that also offers a decent deck salon (such as the Sirius yachts from Germany or maybe the Island Packet). This would give you even more flexibility, same or better redundancy (sails + engine rather than two engines), equally good sea keeping and range (one could argue even longer range under sail), a similar slow cruising speed (either under sail or using the engine).

So what is the N41 niche.

People who need to be (or want to dream about) crossing an ocean on their own keel (how many really do this in a 40 foot power boat), but at the same time do not want to learn or are unable to handle sails, or have a strong preference for a power boat (but at the same time can accept moving at a snail speed even on shorter passages), or those who fit all the above and need a low air draft for inland waterways. But then - for inland use - seems it desperately needs a flybridge where you can sit and watch the world go by as you gently cruise along at 7 knots.

Seems indeed like a niche product. But at the same time I am sure it is a great boat for those that match the exact requirements.

Maybe the ideal buyers are the retired couple who got tired of handling sails and gave up the 40+ feet sailing boat, but still loves spending time at sea, have all the time in the world and no rush to get anywhere (they came from a sail boat so used to taking their time). Want the ability to cruise more remote areas with limited refuelling options - so enjoy the range - not for ocean crossing - but for the autonomy. And who does not expect more than very occasional overnight visitors onboard.

It would seem a great choice for that need - and maybe that is not such a small niche after all

The (just Slightly) larger trawlers I better get because at just a bit up in size from this one - you get a level of comfort and space not found on many sailing boats - a fly bridge + room to lounge around while taking a week to get somewhere and then have a floating apartment when you arrive at your destination with the extra room for friends or family to visit when you get there.

Still not sure about the compromises at this size bracket.
I’ll be honest, if money was no object, a Nordie would be top of my list, plus also a Selene etc.
So, you can add ‘aspirational’ to the list of niche (would be) owners ??

Jsu

Visit site
I’ll be honest, if money was no object, a Nordie would be top of my list, plus also a Selene etc.
So, you can add ‘aspirational’ to the list of niche (would be) owners ??

Yes. I would not disagree with that. But would then still want at least one size up with minimum two decent cabins not the 41.

And if truly wanting a blue water ocean crossing go anywhere boat for a post retirement round the world trip at displacement speed - then I always liked the FPB boats (unfortunately owners retired and decided not to license the design so no longer in production) SetSail FPB » Dashew Offshore

Bouba

Visit site
Yes. I would not disagree with that. But would then still want at least one size up with minimum two decent cabins not the 41.

And if truly wanting a blue water ocean crossing go anywhere boat for a post retirement round the world trip at displacement speed - then I always liked the FPB boats (unfortunately owners retired and decided not to license the design so no longer in production) SetSail FPB » Dashew Offshore
If I wanted a boat just as a tool for the voyage, I agree the FPB would be a consideration. But, come on, that is one butt ugly boat ????

longjohnsilver

Visit site
If I wanted a boat just as a tool for the voyage, I agree the FPB would be a consideration. But, come on, that is one butt ugly boat ????
I saw one in Guernsey a few years back, I honesty thought it looked like a half finished project boat. It was only later that I realised what it actually was, probably after seeing pics on this forum.

Jsu

Visit site
Would not entirely disagree. Clearly a boat you buy for the unique functionality not the looks. But where you are (or should be) going in that boat there is nobody to impress with the design. The makers mention a side effect of the “rough” design when cruising remote parts of the globe is that it attracts less attention, compared to arriving in a fancy looking boat that sends Immediate signals of money and wealth, which in some places gets you the wrong kind of attention.

It’s probably a boat you buy - cruise around to the worlds remote corners for a few years and then sell again - and then have something else for more local cruising or shorter holidays.

Anyhow sorry for the digression - back to the N41.

jordanbasset

Visit site

I saw one in Guernsey a few years back, I honesty thought it looked like a half finished project boat. It was only later that I realised what it actually was, probably after seeing pics on this forum.
I first saw one about 10 years ago in the Spanish Rias, when it was some distance away I first thought it was a military/naval vessel

Bajansailor

Visit site
I first saw one about 10 years ago in the Spanish Rias, when it was some distance away I first thought it was a military/naval vessel
One major advantage of marine grade aluminium is that it does not have to be painted - however it would not cost much (relatively, when compared to the cost of the boat) to give an FPB a paint job to make it look like a 'classy' fibreglass boat.
I can see the appeal in having a hull where you don't have to worry about re-painting or touching up dings. The hull topsides of the ally cat in my avatar photo is 20 years old now, and still looks good (if weathered aluminium looks good in your book) and it has required no maintenance, despite being a commercial passenger carrying boat, in use almost every day.

Re building a hull in two halves - the RNLI foam sandwich Mersey class lifeboats were all built this way, and then joined together along the centreline. But being a lifeboat it is a lot more than just applying some fibreglass laminations over the joint - it is also bolted together.

Visit site

To me it is clearly a Cruising couple Design. You could have occasional visitors but primarily just the two of you. Watching the videos it seems they could well end up with a fly Bridge version but there are plenty of people who prefer no fly Bridge. a lot of people point out the sailing thing but in reality cruising at 7kn point to point is going to be considerably faster than a typical sailing trajectory.

i agree the blue water around the world is a stretch (after all only one 40 ever did it) but from down here in New Zealand being Able to cruise to a Fiji etc is attractive. As for FPB they are much more expensive.

you would only buy an FPB because you are going to cruise the world. You would buy a nordhavn because you could. Important distinction

EricJ

Visit site
I agree it is a very specific niche in which the 41 fits. More than anything else an entry into the Nordhavn family with the target for owners to move up in the range. Couples that want to do serious (coastal) cruising, northern Europe, Scandinavia perhaps. Not ocean crossing obviously with 40’.
most people will opt for something that ticks a few more boxes I am afraid, like a Magellano 43, Nimbus 405 etc. I am sure quite a lot more Magellano’s are sold than they will sell Nordie 41s, but would be interesting to compare build numbers with a Nimbus 405 for example.

thanks @MapisM and @Bajansailor for your insights on the hull. I had not appreciated that.

trialframe

Visit site
I agree it is a very specific niche in which the 41 fits. More than anything else an entry into the Nordhavn family with the target for owners to move up in the range. Couples that want to do serious (coastal) cruising, northern Europe, Scandinavia perhaps. Not ocean crossing obviously with 40’.
most people will opt for something that ticks a few more boxes I am afraid, like a Magellano 43, Nimbus 405 etc. I am sure quite a lot more Magellano’s are sold than they will sell Nordie 41s, but would be interesting to compare build numbers with a Nimbus 405 for example.

thanks @MapisM and @Bajansailor for your insights on the hull. I had not appreciated that.
Seems to me that a used Nordhavn 43 is a much better option than the new Nordie 41. It has 2x cabins - owners & guests - each with heads and shower. Also a flybridge plus proper hydraulic crane, separate pilothouse etc etc. It's also lost most of its depreciation & is built like a proverbial brick outbuilding. Guess what boat I own.

Zing

Visit site
I think that my all time favourite Nordhavn is the old original 46 - there are currently a few for sale on Yachtworld, with asking prices in the range US$ 300 - 428,000.
Here is a link to the most expensive one. She would still be a lot less than a new Nordhavn 41.
1998 Nordhavn 46 Trawler for sale - YachtWorld
Mine is the 57 or 62. Both with great lines. The 62 goes for surprisingly good money. Still in strong demand, they should re-do it.