New Nordhavn 41

EricJ

Visit site
I came across this Nordhavn video where the new 41 was discussed:
A very interesting one if you look for this type of boat. No flybridge but therefore less high; some of the smaller Nordhavns are very tall I think. I like the more modern cabinetry and central galley. Guest cabin looks a bit compromised with bunks. There is also a layout option with only one cabin and larger storage. They use twin Betamarine engines (had to look them up, but they have Kubota base engines), wet exhaust.
ABT stabilizers, generator , aircon, washer/dryer, freezer, Garmin plotter and radar, all included. Seems good value at a price of 752k USD. Very nice complete spec list: https://nordhavn.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/N41-Specs-24Jun9.pdf

This boat is to be built at a yard in Turkey. Nordhavn seems to work with different yards (in lower cost countries) to build their model range. Perhaps challenging from a quality assurance point of view.
what will be the competition for this boat? Interested to hear opinions on this one.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Without watching the whole 30 minutes, are there any pics or computer generated images of the 41? Couldn’t see anything in the spec list you linked to.

EricJ

Visit site
Without watching the whole 30 minutes, are there any pics or computer generated images of the 41? Couldn’t see anything in the spec list you linked to.
a few pics are here: N41 – Nordhavn Yachts
there is indeed only a little bit in the video like Vas said, but they mention the price. Rest of video is about the biggest one, the 148 and the cooperation with Vripack.

EricJ

Visit site
The video also shows the new 148 (at 17:41), a really lovely looking boat.
Indeed, beautiful lines. It surprised me that they design the boat and later decide at which contractor to build it, rather than include the yard from the beginning. They said in the video that they have various options. I would reckon a Dutch yard would be on that list for such large metal boat. let’s see.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Indeed, beautiful lines. It surprised me that they design the boat and later decide at which contractor to build it, rather than include the yard from the beginning. They said in the video that they have various options. I would reckon a Dutch yard would be on that list for such large metal boat. let’s see.
Is it going to be a metal Nordy? All the previous boats have been Grp iirc.

MapisM

Visit site
Absolutely. Funny to listen Jim Leishman praising steel construction.
If I were one of the many folks who forked out an outrageous amount of money trusting all they always said about their plastic construction being superior to any other material, I'd be pixxed for good. ?

Bouba

Visit site
To be fair, is GRP the right material for this sized boat.
Besides does Nordhavn say GRP is best or just that their GRP is thickest?

MapisM

Visit site
They used to brag about being even better than steel in general, not just because their lamination is redundant.
Which by and large is true of any Taiwanese yard, btw - it's not something specific to PAE.
I can remember one of their old ads on Passagemaker with a pic of a N57 grounded, where the claim was that GRP was as good as steel to withstand that.
Imho, the simple truth is that GRP is more cost effective when production numbers are (relatively) high, and THAT is the real main driver behind builders' choices, more than anything else.

Bouba

Visit site
GRP is also able to be made into any hydrodynamic shape unlike steel. Mind you they seem to be able to make cars any shape.....

MapisM

Visit site
Besides does Nordhavn say GRP is best or just that their GRP is thickest?
Coming to think of it, you made me curious to look for the Passagemaker ad which I previously mentioned.
But while browsing my old files, I came across the whole article, as published in their own in-house magazine.
Actually, I still think to have seen the grounded N57 pic and a short abstract of the concept used also as an ad on PMM, but the whole article shows even better what I meant. Starting from the bold claim in the title, which pretty sure they are not using anymore with prospect 148 clients...! ?
HLQg1Ez8_o.jpg

QZb5vx4v_o.jpg

e9Ulopy6_o.jpg

Last edited: