New moorings in Studland.

Robin

Visit site
Actual, registered is 26.72

nice one, that puts your anchorage spot way out in Poole Bay, My comment really is that if these eco moorings are simply marked 10 ton max without saying if that is registered tonnage, or displacement, most of likely users will not know what they have anyways let alone if rafted up to party.

My last UK owned sail boat was 14 registered, about 9 displacement but raced as a one ton cup boat, Confused.com. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: DJE

Tranona

Visit site
I assume it is ok for big boats to anchor then since they have made no other provision
Yes. Much bigger boats commonly anchor mainly to the south closer to Old Harry where there is plenty of water and good holding. Well away from the contested inshore area which is shallow (seagrasses grow in shallow water), but of course the shelter from the prevailing winds provided by the Purbecks is less good.

Boathook

Visit site
Was anchored in Studland the other day. The new buoys are in deep water (4m) by my standards and quite a distance out even from the existing buoys. They are neat and compact and well spaced out but in the zone where boats speed up so creating wash. Whilst the wind was a westerly the sea was quite choppy compared with a lot closer in. Also if you want to go ashore you need an outboard on the dinghy, where my preferred anchor spots are a short row ashore. Was interesting that quite a few of them weren't used as boats preferred to be closer in. Also a few of the Bankes buoys not in use, persumably due to the dodgy chains. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out this year and whether they will survive the winter.
For the first time ever at Studland my anchor caught on an old mooring and or chain. Thought that I was going to have to swim down and attach a rope but managed to get the anchor trip claw on to the roll bar of the rocna so that I could gently pull the anchor clear. The water was very clear. Another boat watching said that is was one of the old National Trust moorings where they just removed the buoy and let the whole lot fall to the sea bed. A first in 40 + years at Studland for me.
The roll bar of the rocna wasn't damaged during this exercise some of you will be pleased to hear!