New moorings in Studland.

lustyd

Visit site
Presumably if they're banning anchoring to preserve the seahorses they'll be banning diving as well?
No, diving is important to monitor the situation, and the divers will need RIBs too, lots of them. These will likely be the most harassed sea horses on the planet once all those pesky yachts are out of the way!

oldharry

Visit site
My local resident 'man on the spot' tells me that they are being laid a lot further out than the normal moorings, so in weather like this, well exposed to the infamous downdrafts off the high ground. Also the Bankses moorings are now unsafe as the chains are rusting through, and have been marked accordingly. New ones on order. And yes they are an AMS Eco-friendly type, apparently from Australia., where they have been much more thoroughly tested and tried than the American ones.

st599

Visit site
it's not just seahorses, but all the ecosystem associated with eelgrass. It's the eelgrass meadows that are of concern.

Not just here. Try the Balearics, for example (allegedly)

The UK Government's published Carbon Zero plan (and those of quite a few other countries) relies on large amounts of Carbon Sequestration in Sea Grass - something like up to 5% of the UK's emissions are planned to be captured in huge seagrass forests. However, the Natural England report states that the carbon is released if the sediment is disturbed.

Seagrass that stores 35 times more carbon than rainforests being planted off Devon coast
What is Blue Carbon?
Carbon Storage and Sequestration by Habitat 2021 - NERR094

oldharry

Visit site
Some of our questions answered here: the moorings are rated to a maximum of 10 tons. Its not clear what type of mooring is being used, but they say here there will be no charge for their use. Sounds fairly positive, though ongoing maintence remains an issue, when 4 or 5 large Mobos have rafted up on them a few times....

... and yes - somebody needs to tell them to mouse the shackles. worrying such an elementary mistake is being made?

oldharry

Visit site
The UK Government's published Carbon Zero plan (and those of quite a few other countries) relies on large amounts of Carbon Sequestration in Sea Grass - something like up to 5% of the UK's emissions are planned to be captured in huge seagrass forests. However, the Natural England report states that the carbon is released if the sediment is disturbed.

Seagrass that stores 35 times more carbon than rainforests being planted off Devon coast
What is Blue Carbon?
Carbon Storage and Sequestration by Habitat 2021 - NERR094

So its not a true carbon sink, as it will release it every time theres a storm...... and there will be more of those because of Climate change they say. Seems more spin than sense?

Boathook

Visit site
My local resident 'man on the spot' tells me that they are being laid a lot further out than the normal moorings, so in weather like this, well exposed to the infamous downdrafts off the high ground. Also the Bankses moorings are now unsafe as the chains are rusting through, and have been marked accordingly. New ones on order. And yes they are an AMS Eco-friendly type, apparently from Australia., where they have been much more thoroughly tested and tried than the American ones.
I normally anchor inside the existing moorings if there is room. Any further out than existing I don't like unless flat calm, but then you are beyond the swimming buoys and have boats at high speed amongst you.

st599

Visit site
So its not a true carbon sink, as it will release it every time theres a storm...... and there will be more of those because of Climate change they say. Seems more spin than sense?

I presume there's a difference between digging in to the substrate rather than some surface abrasion, but I don't know.

But looking at the plans and the vast areas they're talking about, I think we better hope they find an eco-friendly way of mooring as I doubt that boaters wanting to anchor will figure highly in the governments minds. If it's planting seagrass meadows vs. re-wilding 10% of current agricultural land (and the associated loss of food security), I know where I'd put my bet.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Found the conditions of use for the moorings:-

Studland eco moorings | boatfolk

Details for using the eco-mooring

These eco-moorings give you an environmentally friendly alternative
to dropping your anchor. By using these moorings you are protecting the seabed, but make sure you do so responsibly by adhering to the following rules:

Do not moor a vessel over 10 tonnesNo rafting of vesselsNo mooring when the swell is greater than 1 metreDo not stay over 24 hours

By adhering to these rules we will ensure these eco-moorings keep going for years to come, allowing future generations of boaters to enjoy Studland Bay without doing so at the expense of the environment.

lustyd

Visit site
Not just carbon being released but methane which is many times worse.
As much use as a chocolate teapot then.
We’ll, they do give a handy excuse to decline rafting but that seems the only plus. On the bright side there’s no chain to foul your anchor so presumably we can drop a pick next to one ?

Tranona

Visit site
I wonder if anyone is trying one of these buoys at present? Studland should be sheltered but it can get blustery there.
I was in Studland yesterday. I could only see 6 moorings in a line, all occupied. Typical summer mid week day with the usual smaller boats close inshore and a few larger >35' further out and outside the seagrass. Many just stopping on passage as it was at the turn of the tide starting to go east.