New moorings in Studland.

Boathook

Visit site
Beaten to it !
Only 10 so won't make any real difference during the summer months. Be interesting as to how long they last.
They also comment that more seahorses were seen last year "attributed to the reduction in people, boat traffic and anchors during lockdown" nothing about possibly less divers.

prv

Visit site
They also comment that more seahorses were seen last year "attributed to the reduction in people, boat traffic and anchors during lockdown" nothing about possibly less divers.

I don’t know about Studland specifically, but places I’ve been have showed the precise opposite effect. Increased traffic as other options at home and especially abroad were and are unavailable, and going sailing is about as isolated as a leisure activity gets.

Any basis for the BBC’s statement or did a hard-of-thinking journalist just make it up?

Pete

Concerto

Visit site
The buoy will be tied to a screw anchor by an elastic band. Really? If the mooring is going to be able to take a substantial boat say 40ft, then it will require a big elastic band. Then to keep a big elastic band on the surface will require a very big buoy. What a load of twaddle. Neil Garrick-Maidment does not know what he is talking about, despite the other visible supporters. No mention as to how they are going to be maintained and if charges apply to non-Boatfolk marina berth holders. I certainly would not want to moored by an elastic band in any waves, it will cause snatching. Bet in real life they do not work and have to be removed. Not to mention the liability issue if an elastic band failed and a boat went ashore and was damaged.

Last edited:

Boathook

Visit site
it's not just seahorses, but all the ecosystem associated with eelgrass. It's the eelgrass meadows that are of concern.

Not just here. Try the Balearics, for example (allegedly)
I thought that the 'grass' at Studland was different from the med stuff. And that is partially the problem in that they are comparing Studland with the med stuff when they are different.

oldharry

Visit site
The buoy will be tied to a screw anchor by an elastic band. Really? If the mooring is going to be able to take a substantial boat say 40ft, then it will require a big elastic band. Then to keep a big elastic band on the surface will require a very big buoy. What a load of twaddle. Neil Garrick-Maidment does not know what he is talking about, despite the other visible supporters. No mention as to how they are going to be maintained and if charges apply to non-Boatfloat marina berth holders. I certainly would not want to moored by an elastic band in any waves, it will cause snatching. Bet in real life they do not work and have to be removed. Not to mention the liability issue if an elastic band failed and a boat went ashore and was damaged.
Spot on. I know the specific type NGM favours: he is on to a real loser here. Firstly they require a minimum depth of water to keep them off the bottom. If they do drag they do a great deal of environmental damage. The water in Studland is not deep enough. Second they require regular frequent maintenance to keep the elastic rodes free of shellfish which cut through them in double quick time. Third the elastic or spring mechanisms have to be matched fairly closely to boat weight and wind age. This makes them entirely unsuitable for public mooring use. We have unconfirmed reports of a 70% failure rate within 3.years without proper care. Checking them is not a matter of just winching them up, like lifting a sinker. A special hydraulic winder is required or the screw with divers to help set them. Hugely expensive. But NGM knows all about boats. Hrs been out in one.!

Concerto

Visit site
Spot on. I know the specific type NGM favours: he is on to a real loser here. Firstly they require a minimum depth of water to keep them off the bottom. If they do drag they do a great deal of environmental damage. The water in Studland is not deep enough. Second they require regular frequent maintenance to keep the elastic rodes free of shellfish which cut through them in double quick time. Third the elastic or spring mechanisms have to be matched fairly closely to boat weight and wind age. This makes them entirely unsuitable for public mooring use. We have unconfirmed reports of a 70% failure rate within 3.years without proper care. Checking them is not a matter of just winching them up, like lifting a sinker. A special hydraulic winder is required or the screw with divers to help set them. Hugely expensive. But NGM knows all about boats. Hrs been out in one.!
I presume Boatfolk consider it good publicity to pay for 10 moorings, but it will almost certainly backfire on them if, or when, one goes wrong.

TiggerToo

Visit site
I take it this is a trial; all of these problems will be revealed when they are put to the test of reality.

A bit like the BT problem we are not allowed to talk about on these pages.

RestlessL

Visit site
Attached is a snapshot taken from the South Today report showing the shackle joining the swivel to the riser. I hope they are going back to mouse the shackle pin.
3281FEAD-7040-4C7E-A800-E6C91510C7EA.jpeg

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Has anyone seen any meaningful information on this particular installation along the lines of are the bookable, are they free or what is the charge and what is their capacity? Oh and who actually owns and insures them?

Robin

Visit site
Now there's an idea, without the Bankes Arms bit (have you seen their recent reviews?).
Fred Drift but from curiosity googled reviews and it sees they have the same contactless ordering by an app that will not download on my 3 year old android phone in our marina restaurant , if they only want yuppie Iphone owners just say so (n)

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Fred Drift but from curiosity googled reviews and it sees they have the same contactless ordering by an app that will not download on my 3 year old android phone in our marina restaurant , if they only want yuppie Iphone owners just say so (n)

Well you can see their strategy as almost by definition an iPhone purchaser is not going to be into VFM.