New Inn Shalfleet closing

laika

Visit site
I’m not a fan of “gastro pubs” but Ive always made an exception for the new inn. Obviously the whole dinghy ride to shalfleet quay adventure makes it particularly special but the food, beer and wine have all been great and reasonably priced for what you get. Apparently Tonight is the last night for the current incarnation of the place: it’s shutting due to staff losses. I was super happy to get there last night for the first time in 3 years (with a great sail there yesterday and back today) but will be sad that my favourite Solent dinner destination won’t be there for the foreseeable future.

Boathook

Visit site
I haven't been there for quite a few years but did enjoy the beer many times and the food a few times. I tend to avoid Newtown nowadays as it was getting so crowded making anchoring more constrained. Be interesting if they reopen next year for the season.

xcw

Visit site
Such a shame and as you say, the dingy trip, the walk and the good beer and food made it an enjoyable experience. I was there on the night it opened with the new owners. I tried to visit it a couple of times earlier in the year but it was closed due to staff shortages. I know staffing is an issue in the hospitality industry but others seem to manage it ok. I wonder if it was just becoming 'too difficult' for the current landlord which is why they've given up? Hopefully some entrepreneurial folks will come along soon and they re open.

Tranona

Visit site
The problem with getting staff is that it is rather remote and buses infrequent. OK in summer when students are at home, but in the winter limited for both patrons and staff. Maybe the model of summer opening like the tavernas on the Greek islands will become more common for locations like this.

laika

Visit site
I tried to visit it a couple of times earlier in the year but it was closed due to staff shortages. I know staffing is an issue in the hospitality industry but others seem to manage it ok. I wonder if it was just becoming 'too difficult' for the current landlord which is why they've given up?

From what we heard on saturday they've only had one chef for some time, meaning they've been turning people away when they've got empty tables. Now the manager has resigned and they're giving up. It's such a great place surely someone must take it on eventually but I've probably had my first and last shalfleet dinner experience for this winter

RogerJolly

Visit site
Bugger. That's a shame.

Was there in the summer - a sign of the times maybe but was struck by a notice up in the loo - basically a full page moan, many variations of 'if your food is taking too long, blame your brother in law Chef for going off van driving' (along those lines anyway). Thought blimey, I've only come here for a nice meal, maybe valid points but seems a bit off having a go at me like this.

Wouldn't of put me off going back of course. Takes a lot more than that to keep me out of a pub (closing down does it though).

Wing Mark

Visit site
I have a feeling I remember a club mate moaning about sailing to Newton and finding the pub was shut in the late 90s.

ashtead

Visit site
You also have to remember that by road for most islanders Newtown is a long drive and they would much prefer to go to the spoons in Ryde which continues to prosper based on what I saw walking down union street the other day. I doubt even those in freshwater or Yarmouth make their way to shallfleet in the winter . Unless you can make it a destination restaurant like say the duck in Ryde and gain good reviews from the restaurant reviewers it’s hard to run I suspect other than as a pub but pints of Goddards don’t support the costs I suspect . It only needs a record of say slow service and poor food to spread due to changing chefs etc and lack of waiting staff to kill off sadly and I rather suspect there are not crowds of local students waiting to up employment in shalfleet.