New in here and looking for advice

Windy_Stu

Visit site
Are you British? If so, have you considered the 90/180 rule for Brits being in the EU after Jan 2021?
Yep thats why the Thames for a couple of years to sort out the boat...then hopefully cross the channel and back in the 90 days... Brexit is the gift that keeps on giving :)

Scapegoat

Visit site
Ah so my bad.. that is exactly what I'm looking at....so they are not "wide beams" ? what make a boat a wide beam then??...I just thought something wider than 6'6 narrow boat :)..... yes defo Steel for me...I took my GRP cat though the midi and sweated every time a big metal boat joined me in the lock :cool:

OK, assuming that you are considering purchasing a steel aft cabin boat for the Thames and European waterways, these are some considerations.

Category B if you want to cross the channel - or C if you are transporting

Single engine is probably more suitable for the river as you have a protected prop

Be aware of depth and height and width (locks) restrictions for the river, bridges and locks - see River Thames: distances and measurements for boaters

River licence cost is dependent on length x beam and you’ll need a current Boat Safety Certificate

River Licence requires a base mooring - ie continuous cruising licence not available.

Some marinas do not allow residential mooring and residential moorings on the Thames are not readily available.

Bankside moorings can be shallow and many overnight moorings are time limited and levy a daily fee. In high season it can be difficult to find an overnight mooring on some stretches of the river.

Water capacity - whilst there are water points at some locks, if you want to stay put then its useful to have lots of water available. Ditto holding tank (mandatory for Thames use)

Power capacity - generator/solar & batteries

Hot water - a hydronic system or diesel boiler means you are not reliant on running the engine or generator

It's worth joining one of the Thames based cruising clubs as you'll always be able to get local advice and find like minded friends

Probably other points I’ve missed but hope these help in your decision.

Windy_Stu

Visit site
OK, assuming that you are considering purchasing a steel aft cabin boat for the Thames and European waterways, these are some considerations.

Category B if you want to cross the channel - or C if you are transporting

Single engine is probably more suitable for the river as you have a protected prop

Be aware of depth and height and width (locks) restrictions for the river, bridges and locks - see River Thames: distances and measurements for boaters

River licence cost is dependent on length x beam and you’ll need a current Boat Safety Certificate

River Licence requires a base mooring - ie continuous cruising licence not available.

Some marinas do not allow residential mooring and residential moorings on the Thames are not readily available.

Bankside moorings can be shallow and many overnight moorings are time limited and levy a daily fee. In high season it can be difficult to find an overnight mooring on some stretches of the river.

Water capacity - whilst there are water points at some locks, if you want to stay put then its useful to have lots of water available. Ditto holding tank (mandatory for Thames use)

Power capacity - generator/solar & batteries

Hot water - a hydronic system or diesel boiler means you are not reliant on running the engine or generator

It's worth joining one of the Thames based cruising clubs as you'll always be able to get local advice and find like minded friends

Probably other points I’ve missed but hope these help in your decision.
Thanks Scapegoat...that is very useful... especially the link....how easy is it to find emptying points for holding tanks?

Scapegoat

Visit site
Thanks Scapegoat...that is very useful... especially the link....how easy is it to find emptying points for holding tanks?
Most marinas have pump-outs plus the hire boat yards. There are also some EA pump out stations but they are often out of service

oldgit

Visit site
MATILDA has been all around UK.
Skippered by Timothy Spall
Currently moored in herwinter mooring in Ramsgate.
Powered by a very nice Perkins M135.

Windy_Stu

Visit site
MATILDA has been all around UK.
Skippered by Timothy Spall
Currently moored in herwinter mooring in Ramsgate.