New Dover marina - not open yet?

Crazy-Diamond

Visit site
I'm looking forward to crossing the estuary from the Crouch for a trip or two this year. I just spoke to Dover marina who tell me the new marina has been delayed, and will not be open until 2022. I wonder if this is due to the horrible swell I could see in there when I last visited. Has anyone else seen it?

Tomahawk

Visit site
I was not convinced by the design when I saw the models and drawings.
Who designed it and what is their PII regards a potential claim for it not being viable?

More important, is the Granville Dock still in use?

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
I'm looking forward to crossing the estuary from the Crouch for a trip or two this year. I just spoke to Dover marina who tell me the new marina has been delayed, and will not be open until 2022. I wonder if this is due to the horrible swell I could see in there when I last visited. Has anyone else seen it?
Yes a casual look from the promenade shows that it catches the swell, and many are saying it will silt up quickly.
A total cock-up by the looks of it.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Old docks remain as was but the only access to the Wellington dock is through the new marina and the new canal. Further wave suppression work to be done apparently. I think the Dutch built it but I dont know who the designer was.

Crazy-Diamond

Visit site
Screenshot 2021-04-09 082536.png

Would swell in the new marina be caused by waves reflecting off the beach? Or is it more complicated than that?

Brighton has that wave killing beach on the approach, and curved walls, perhaps that makes a difference dissipating energy?

Screenshot 2021-04-09 082720.png

Tomahawk

Visit site
Any swell coming Eastern can travel straight across the harbour into the entrance to the marina.One needs only look at Ramsgit to see how uncomfy it can be when one can see the open sea from the berths.

It is made worse by the fact it gets narrower from the entrance towards the back so that instead of dissipating the energy as waves travel up the length of the marina, they are funnelled into a tighter space and maintain their energy.. A bigger cock up it is difficult to imagine?

It will silt up like a Burnham and Brighton because there is no through current. Such a simple thing to prevent if they had the sense.

Last edited:

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Lots of marinas have no through current and require dredging periodically. I don't see that as a major flaw.
Looking down from the promenade, it looks tight in there for manouvering, due to the silly curved shape of the breakwater which was presumably designed to look artistic from the 'luxury apartments'. Operating a dredger would be awkward and disruptive.
The fault lies with the designers, people will be moaning about it for ever, so we might as well start before it's even finished..

pvb

Visit site
A major expense that can be avoided as something other than a major flaw?
This is a meaning of "not major" I was previously unaware of ;)

It's not a major flaw - the majority of marinas I've ever seen don't have any through current. One marina I did visit which had a through current was a nightmare to manoeuvre in.

Tomahawk

Visit site
Looking down from the promenade, it looks tight in there for manouvering, due to the silly curved shape of the breakwater which was presumably designed to look artistic from the 'luxury apartments'. Operating a dredger would be awkward and disruptive.
The fault lies with the designers, people will be moaning about it for ever, so we might as well start before it's even finished..
Are you talking about Dover or Brighton

bluerm166

Visit site
I believe that the swell enters the marina because the 'pedestrian' pier is not supported on a wall but on very large diameter piles with gaps between .This saved constructing a foundation for a wall on a sloping sea bed but allows surge to pass through.
A swell was often visible previously as it passed along the face of the Prince of Wales pier in that corner.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
I believe that the swell enters the marina because the 'pedestrian' pier is not supported on a wall but on very large diameter piles with gaps between .This saved constructing a foundation for a wall on a sloping sea bed but allows surge to pass through.
A swell was often visible previously as it passed along the face of the Prince of Wales pier in that corner.
I was there last year when there was a gale blowing and I thought the same. The swell along the outside of the pedestrian pier appeared to be mirrored inside the marina and the pontoon there was doing a merry jig. However, in some blurb about recent work to address the problem this was specifically denied by the marina people, saying the pier is a solid entity. The work seems to centre on baffle arrangemrnts at the marina entrance so lets see if they solve it.