New boat!

Mr Googler

Visit site
Been eventful. 2 coats of top coat. Couldn’t get it to flow as it tacked off so fast. Went right up to 15% thinners. Was using Jotun 10. Turns out….it’s a fast thinner so now going to knock back and use international thinners 9 which is slower.

I wouldn’t call it a cock up as I was going to do 3 coats anyway but it’s a learning curve! It was suggested that wet sand back and buff but I’ll go an extra coat. I want to see it go on like on YouTube videos! ?

49C4EC33-5601-4E96-965F-5269FAB7B46B.jpeg8BD657FC-DDCD-43E7-8E69-9C2225F9F6F7.jpeg2DF085AC-E8EE-49D6-A41F-BB22831A3B54.jpegD47A7137-D0AE-4CB1-A2D2-F6BAAC212EF3.jpegDB932D24-7A77-4550-AD88-60BCEECE1773.jpegCA7096A9-0285-4A51-9856-FC15CC29D3F2.jpeg

Seastoke

Visit site
Been eventful. 2 coats of top coat. Couldn’t get it to flow as it tacked off so fast. Went right up to 15% thinners. Was using Jotun 10. Turns out….it’s a fast thinner so now going to knock back and use international thinners 9 which is slower.

I wouldn’t call it a cock up as I was going to do 3 coats anyway but it’s a learning curve! It was suggested that wet sand back and buff but I’ll go an extra coat. I want to see it go on like on YouTube videos! ?

View attachment 115731View attachment 115732View attachment 115733View attachment 115734View attachment 115735View attachment 115736
COCK UP with an F

Mr Googler

Visit site
I won’t be happy until I can see my face in it. Whether that’s achieved by the last coat or many hours wet sanding remains to be seen!

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
I won’t be happy until I can see my face in it. Whether that’s achieved by the last coat or many hours wet sanding remains to be seen!
I prefer a boat I can’t see my face on, you must be prettier than me. After following this thread I think I’d have left it red and given it a rub over with fairy liquid, you’ve got far more patience than me ?

BruceK

Visit site
I prefer a boat I can’t see my face on, you must be prettier than me. After following this thread I think I’d have left it red and given it a rub over with fairy liquid, you’ve got far more patience than me ?

We all said that, before he even bought it. Can't tell 'im nothing. It looked magnificent when I first saw her too. In fairness that red is hard to keep, but still probably less work than he's now let himself in for. Wait till he runs a scratch down the hull from the trailer. You can see it coming a mile off. It will be a black magic painting. All the kids round the hard will want a go. Even Roy :p

Mr Googler

Visit site
Been covered in dust for a month so probably not!

God no! Where’s the fun in that! I like learning new skills. It’s only paint. Can always sand it off and start again. I’m into for about £500 paint and tools wise so it’s a cheap hobby (boat maths ?) I’ll be bored when it’s finished…..then onto the next ???

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
We all said that, before he even bought it. Can't tell 'im nothing. It looked magnificent when I first saw her too. In fairness that red is hard to keep, but still probably less work than he's now let himself in for. Wait till he runs a scratch down the hull from the trailer. You can see it coming a mile off. It will be a black magic painting. All the kids round the hard will want a go. Even Roy :p
New boat name ‘Etchasketch’, the boat all the family can design (y)

vas

Visit site
good luck, the orange peel look is not what you're aiming for but you know that already :)
is it v.hard sanding it down to get it smooth again or is it doable with say 320grit?

Mr Googler

Visit site
Surprisingly not. The more it cures, the better it sands. 400-800 grit. Now…the epoxy primer was a different matter. That was an arse!

TwoHooter

Visit site
This is making me think about boatyard costs.

Mr. G. is doing this for fun. We can have a separate discussion about exactly what mental ailment Mr. G. might be suffering from that makes this self-flagellation seem like fun, but we all suffer from the same ailment to some degree, so put that to one side.

But suppose Mr. G. was doing this for a customer. What would he have to charge to make the job wash its face?

Boat math suggests we shouldn't even ask the question, but seriously, what would a boatyard have to charge for this job?