New Boat Owner - Cardiff Bay

steveej

Visit site
7m Sail Boat - where in Cardiff Bay.

Choice of two yacht clubs, which is best?

Cardiff Marina seems quite a bit cheaper than Penarth Marina but you might get put behind the foot bridge - how much hassle is this.

Any locals have an opinion.

Pontoons with electric would be nice for a couple of months due to having young children and a place where they don't mind me doing some DIY work on the hard in the winter.

Come March, I hope to be in a much better position to decide what to do next. Join one of the clubs and put her on a mooring?

graham

Visit site
I would suggest visiting both clubs and having a chat before making your mind up.
I think CYC is a bit cheaper than CBYC but CBYC has a better pontoon system, about a third of the pontoons have electricity.

Personally I wouldn't pay marina fees when you could be in a club .

I have sent you a private message.

Last edited:

SteveSarabande

Visit site
I would suggest visiting both clubs and having a chat before making your mind up.
I think CYC is a bit cheaper than CBYC but CBYC has a better pontoon system.

Personally I wouldn't pay marina fees when you could be in a club .

I have sent you a private message.

Neither clubs have electric. Last I heard CBYC had a waiting list for a berth

Tony-C

Visit site
Cardiff Yacht Club operates on a one-off fee for your berth (plus a £60pa maint. fee) +membership fees so in the long run is cheaper - however the pontoons are versadock, and you moor mediteranian style against them, with moorings for your bow. There is no electricity or water on the pontoon system. Also, there is no fuel available in the club.

Cardiff Bay Yacht Club is an annual marina fee +membership fees, but you moor normally (alongside) a proper pontoon berth. (which is also more sheltered as you are up-river) All the pontoons have water, though only A-E have electricity. CBYC has it's own deisel fuel. There is currently a 12 month wait for berths (according to website).

Penarth Marina oviously has annual marina fees, and you have a proper marina berth (as CBYC) though you pay more per year (even inc. CBYC membership fees). All pontoons have water & electricity. There is diesel & petrol available.

Cardiff Marina also has annual marina fees, and costs similar to CBYC's total, and again you have a proper marina berth. Water and electricity to all berths. deisel is available. You may be berthed up-river of pont-y-werin bridge. This isn't a problem though as you just radio barrage control to lift it (though they'll only lift it twice an hour during the day, and once an hour at night)

Out of the two yacht clubs, CBYC has a better pontoon system, and only CBYC has electricity, though CYC is cheaper.

Out of the marinas, Cardiff Marina is cheaper (similar to CBYC), though Penarth Marina is a bit quicker to get out of (due to it's position)

Birdseye

Visit site
Cardiff Bay Yacht Club has a waiting list for pontoon moorings but it usually is less than 12 months. Its more expensive than Cardiff Yacht Club which in turn is a bit more like a traditional sailing club. Not to say that CBYC is snooty or anything like, but it has become more of a marina with a club attached. Lots of big power boats with absentee owners. So if you are the sort of individual who likes joining in a clubs social life, maybe CYC is a better bet.

Both clubs allow you to work on your boat on the hard but in the case of CBYC it isnt cheap after the first month because onshore space is short supply. Boatyard facilities are excellent with good professional staff handling lift outs and launches. Cant comment on the CYC facilities - not a member there.

The CYC pontoons are third rate IMO requiring you to pick up a stern line and moor bow to before leaping over your pullpit onto pontoons with all the rigidity of my stomach muscles. Sorry but I would class them as cheap and nasty.

How far are you from Cardiff and in what direction? If you are central, northern or to the east then consider Newport Uskmouth SC. This is a trad sailing club with excellent facilities and yard space to do anything you want. Moorings come free with a membership that is just £200 or so pa. http://http://www.nusc.co.uk/. No pontoons just river moorings and therefore no leccy. But the savings on mooring costs would fund several generators each year!

DHV90

Visit site
Another recommendation for Cardiff Yacht Club. My annual fees are close to what some marinas would charge every month. No electric and not all slots have a tap nearby but if you need it, go over and pay the visitors rate at CBYC (£10 for 5 nights) and use their visitors facilities for doing maintenance etc. other than that CYC has all you could ever need. Friendly and good atmosphere. It's awesome being able to sail around the bay in flat water no matter what the wind or tides are doing outside, such a great place to have a boat!

steveej

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I live in Bristol and work in Wiltshire so getting down to the club nights has proven difficult so far.

I am currently in Cardiff Marina on winter rates which are not too bad but I will need to decide what I am going to do come April.

Still haven't made up my mind.

Having young kids (2yr old and a ten month old) is leaning me towards electric, water and a pontoon.

Birdseye

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I live in Bristol and work in Wiltshire so getting down to the club nights has proven difficult so far.

I am currently in Cardiff Marina on winter rates which are not too bad but I will need to decide what I am going to do come April.

Still haven't made up my mind.

Having young kids (2yr old and a ten month old) is leaning me towards electric, water and a pontoon.

In which case CBYC is the only answer and the best thing to do is to join and get yourself on the waiting list before the annual moorings allocation which is in March. You may not get a mooring with leccy year 1 but I would be surprised if you didnt get a mooring at all. And like a pal of mine has done, you can sometimes get permission to move from your own non leccy mooring to a leccy one which is empty whilst someone is away / out of the water for a while.

seaboy

Visit site
For me would be Penarth Quays Marina.

Electrics, Water, Fuel, Chandlers, Restaurant, On/Off Pontoons and 24/7 security also with closed locks at night

SteveSarabande

Visit site
If you live in bristol, portishead is a far better option.

CYC is the most expensive option for the first year as you have to lodge a few thousand pounds as a deposit to get a pontoon place

You will be unlikely to get a pontoon with electric at CBYC, the first few pontoons are full of posh boats. The smaller and rougher your boat the further away you seem to be put. This is obvious from a quick motor up the river.

Cardiff marina is your best option in the bay, as I believe there is no extra charge for being in the boatyard. The toilet/showers are pretty crap though

If you want to be able to spend a lot of time on board then penarth or portishead marinas have far better facilities.

Last edited:

single

Visit site
For me would be Penarth Quays Marina.

Electrics, Water, Fuel, Chandlers, Restaurant, On/Off Pontoons and 24/7 security also with closed locks at night

:rolleyes:
Chandlers (Very limited stock and often shut)
Restaurant (Food hygiene rating 1/5)
And more than twice the price of CBYC OR CYC.

graham

Visit site
I wouldn't set foot in the place or anywhere else with only 1 star.They are taking the pi$$.

The age concern café in barry is run by a group of unpaid volunteers they do cooked breakfasts and lunches so would have had the same inspection as pier 64. They managed 5 out of 5.

Last edited: